- No credit is granted retroactively. In order to receive credit, students must complete all the forms and be formally enrolled before beginning courses.
- At the time of preliminary scheduling and during drop-add periods, students may reserve elective periods for courses they will try to arrange outside the UNC School of Medicine program (Away Rotation). If a student does not subsequently confirm the arrangements, arrangements are not subsequently confirmed, he/she should notify the Clerkship & Elective Program Manager to cancel the "Away" rotation and to schedule another elective, if necessary.
Preliminary Fourth Year Scheduling
- Select a career goal advisor(s).
- Consult with your career goal advisor(s) by appointment.
- Complete your required selective request forms choosing from courses coded APSM, AHEC, SURS and Science of Medicine Selective.
- Complete your elective choice forms making sure that you have chosen enough electives to allow substitution if you are closed out of some courses.
- Obtain your career goal advisor's or college advisor's signature on your registration packet indicating approval (an email approval from your CGA or CA will also be sufficient)
- Return all these forms to the Clerkship & Elective Program Manager in 1001 Bondurant Hall by the stated deadline stated in your registration packet.
In order to receive credit for an elective at another institution, you must:
(a) Obtain a course description from the catalog or on the website of the host school.
(b) Obtain from the Clerkship & Elective Program Manager the appropriate form (Student Application for Extramural Course).
(c) Obtain the signature indicating approval of the UNC faculty member who directs a comparable course at this institution.
(d) Obtain the signature indicating approval of your career goal advisor or college advisor.
(e) Return to the Clerkship & Elective Program Manager the extramural course form with Sections I and II completed, the course description, and any other material requested by the host school.
To arrange a research elective at UNC, please do the following:
1. Request a One-Time Elective form from the Clerkship & Elective Program Manager
2. Have your faculty preceptor complete the form indicating that the elective is a one time arrangement for you. On the form, the faculty preceptor must give a course description of this independent study.
3. Obtain the written approval of the chair of the department in which the elective is to be taken.
4. Obtain the written approval of the chair of the Electives Committee.
5. Obtain the written approval of your College Advisor.
6. Return the form with all approvals to the Clerkship & Elective Program Manager’s Office.