1. How do you manage to stay balanced and healthy in spite of the busy med school schedule?
I live by the phrase, “work hard, play harder” which for me comes down to prioritizing. I set aside time each day to study and get work done so I can focus on other things, and with a little discipline it’s pretty easy. Outside of school I go to the gym, play tennis, go out on off-weekends, spend time with my family, and most importantly play Xbox!!
2. Why do you want to become an advocate and what three qualities will you bring to the job?
After getting to know Jake and Michael during orientation and throughout the year, I knew I wanted to follow in their esteemed footsteps. With their advice and guidance I can confidently say that they’ve made first year much more enjoyable, and I’d love to do the same for incoming first-years. I’ve really enjoyed the mentoring and advising positions I’ve held in the past, so working with first year students is way too great an opportunity to pass up. Personally, I bring dedication (always finish something I start), availability (my smart phone is attached to my hip...seriously), and friendliness.
3. What’s the most important piece of advice you would give to an MS1 at the beginning of the year?
Simply enjoy it to the fullest! There’s a reason why many upperclassmen will tell you that MS1 is one of the easiest, relatively speaking, and most fun years of med school: because it is! Pass/fail really is pass/fail, the workload is lighter (although it’s hard to believe at first during MTC), and there are endless opportunities for you to get involved outside of the classroom. Enjoy it and take advantage of it as much as you can. When else will you have the opportunity to get to know so many intelligent, amazing, and diverse people with whom you’ll build relationships that will last a lifetime?
4. What is your favorite artery, organ, or nerve; and why?
The Trigeminal Nerve – Memorizing all of its branches, functions, and interactions with the other cranial nerves is easily one of my greatest academic accomplishments to date. Now if I could only remember any of it…
5. If you had a theme song that played every time you entered a room, what would it be?
The Next Episode – Dr. Dre
6. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?