If you are bringing your own device and not participating in the CCI program, we strongly advise you to complete the following steps prior to the computer distribution/connection day during orientation. The items below can be completed off-campus and will make the connection process during orientation quicker and easier. Several of these steps only take a few minutes to complete and the more you do in advance, the sooner you will have access to the network on campus.
- Register your device on the UNC network.
Each device must be registered for both wireless and wired access on the UNC network.
- Install the Insight monitoring software
The Insight monitoring software is used during exams to ensure the integrity of the online testing system and is required for all devices used for exams.
- Change the primary username for your device
The Insight exam monitoring software will identify a student based upon the name used to log in to your device. It is because of this that SOM requires this name to be changed to the student’s ONYEN.
- Install Antivirus Software
Antivirus software is required to connect to the UNC network.
- Recommended for Windows users: Microsoft Security Essentials
- Recommended for Mac users: ClamXav
- Install Cisco VPN software
When off campus, you may need to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to access certain on-campus resources.
- Information about VPN
- Instructions for Windows (Onyen required)
- Instructions for Mac (Onyen required)
- Install CCI Printing Software
Students can use their personal devices to send print jobs from anywhere and pick them up in any of the CCI Print Stations across campus.
- Information about CCI Printing
- Installation instructions for Windows
- Installation instructions for Mac
- Install Microsoft Office (optional)
Microsoft Office is available to all students (paid for by student fees).
- Download/Installation instructions for Windows/Mac (Onyen required)
- Setup Microsoft Outlook for email access (optional)
Microsoft Outlook is the recommended and supported email client.