We strongly advise you to complete the following steps prior to the computer connection day during orientation (Tuesday, August 5). The items below can be completed off-campus and will make the connection process during orientation quicker and easier. Several of these steps only take a few minutes to complete and the more you do in advance, the sooner you will have access to the network on campus. OIS staff will be on hand in the computer connection session to ensure that these steps have been completed and assist you if you have any problems.
- Register your device on the UNC network.
Each device must be registered for wired access on the UNC network.
- Install the Network Access Control (NAC) Assessment Agent
This software is required to access the School of Medicine wired network and can be downloaded from the UNC Shareware site. Please note that you can install this software off-campus, but you will not be able to test it until you come to campus and connect to the SOM network.
- Change the primary username for your device
The Insight exam monitoring software will identify a student based upon the name used to log in to your device. It is because of this that SOM requires this name to be changed to the student’s ONYEN.
- Install Antivirus Software
Antivirus software is required to connect to the UNC network.
- Recommended for Windows users: Microsoft Security Essentials
- Recommended for Mac users: ClamXav
- Install Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
When off campus, you will need to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to access certain on-campus resources.
- VPN Installation Instructions for Windows and Mac (Onyen required)
- Install CCI Printing Software
Students can use their personal devices to send print jobs from anywhere and pick them up in any of the CCI Print Stations across campus.
- Information about CCI Printing
- Installation instructions for Windows
- Installation instructions for Mac
- Install Microsoft Office (optional)
Microsoft Office is available to all students (paid for by student fees).
- Download/Installation instructions for Windows/Mac (Onyen required)
- Setup Microsoft Outlook for email access (optional)
Microsoft Outlook is the recommended and supported email client.
- Install the Insight monitoring software **COMING SOON**
The Insight monitoring software is used during exams to ensure the integrity of the online testing system and is required for all devices used for exams. Downloads and documentation will be available closer to orientation.