Criteria for Selection
Applicants must be in their first year of medical school at UNC-Chapel Hill and possess a sincere commitment to return to North Carolina and practice in a rural area. Applicants should also possess an interest in primary care (Family Medicine, Psychiatry, and General Surgery).
Preference is given to students who are from a rural community. Applicants should be prepared to spend six weeks in Western North Carolina during the summer months between first and second year of medical school beginning mid-June and concluding in August.
How to Apply and Timeline for Application Process
- Applications for Fall 2016 will open in early October
- Link will be posted here when available
- Application deadline is December 9th, 2016.
- Interviews will be conducted in Chapel Hill on January 9, 2017
- Final selection and formal letters of acceptance will be sent by the end of January 2017.
Six positions are open for 2017.
Please submit all required materials to:
Amanda Greene, MPA
Program Director, Rural & Underserved
Medical Scholars Program, MAHEC