The 8-week Medicine Inpatient Clerkship is divided into two four-week rotations. All students will spend at least one of these rotations at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill. The majority of students will spend the other rotation at one of the following AHEC sites: Carolinas Medical Center (Charlotte AHEC), Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital (Greensboro AHEC), WakeMed Health and Hospitals (Wake AHEC) or New Hanover Regional Medical Center (South East AHEC). You will be notified of the location of your clinical rotations prior to starting the clerkship.
Initial Meeting Times
- All students will meet in Chapel Hill on the first day of the clerkship for a general orientation session.
- Students working at UNC will report to the appropriate ward after the clerkship orientation session. For ward locations, please see here.
- The Wake and Greensboro AHEC sites will have an orientation session later in the day of the first day of the clerkship. The Charlotte and Wilmington AHEC sites will have an orientation session the next day to allow time for travel. Details will be provided at the UNC general orientation session. For AHEC contact information, please see here.
Helpful Contact Information:
All members of the Department of Medicine (faculty and residents alike) welcome your feedback. We are all available and ready to respond to any request for help or assistance. Please let us know how we can improve the clerkship.
- Dr. Christopher Klipstein, Clerkship Director, can be reached by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Carol Carden, Clerkship Coordinator, can be reached at 966-7776 or by e-mail at email@example.com. The Medicine Education office is located in 5034 Old Clinic Building. Please knock on outside door if no one is at front desk.
- The UNC Chief Residents can be reached at 843-8073 or by email: Stephanie Davis (Stephanie.Davis@unchealth.unc.edu), Julia Hughes (Julia.Hughes@unchealth.unc.edu) and Outpatient Chief Sarah Carroll (Sarah.Carroll@unchealth.unc.edu)
- The Medicine Housestaff and Chief Residents' office is located in 126 MacNider Hall.
- The UNC Chief Resident at WakeMed can be reached via 919-350-7993 or by email: Maureen Dale (Maureen.Dale@unchealth.unc.edu)
- The contact names and numbers for the AHEC sites are listed here.