FALL 2013 APPLICATION INFORMATION (from the BBSP web site)
The BBSP program is now accepting applications for Fall 2013 admissions. The deadline for completed application materials is December 11, 2012.
To apply to BBSP you must use the Graduate School's online application form which can be accessed here. Please read the information for Domestic or International applicants at the Graduate School website before beginning your application. For questions regarding application fee waivers, visit the Graduate School website for Application Fee Waiver guidelines.
Students interested in the 14 PhD programs listed to the right or any of the BBSP research areas should apply to UNC using the BBSP application and the instructions below. If you are interested in the Biomedical Engineering Program, you will need to apply directly to that program. If after reading about our 14 PhD programs listed to the right you are unsure whether or not to apply to the BBSP program, please feel free to contact us and we'd be happy to help you.
Note: Students interested in the Program in Molecular & Cellular Biophysics must also apply direclty to that program. You may find the application here
Note: Applicants to the NIH-UNC Graduate Partnership in Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton should also file an application on the NIH GPP web site (no fee required). You may find the application here
The following are required for an application to be considered complete:
- Non-refundable $85 application fee (we cannot review your application until this is paid).
- Unofficial copies of each of your transcripts must be uploaded into your online application before you are able to submit your application. This is to include ALL schools in which you have attended. Do not submit hard copies of your transcripts to the BBSP program or Graduate School. When you scan your transcripts to be uploaded, please scan them in grey scale. Also, please take a moment to open your file and check that it is readable before you attach the document to your application. If we notice that your transcript is unreadable, we will communicate with you through email to request an additional copy.
- Three current letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation should be from someone in a position to evaluate your potential for success in biomedical research. (must be submitted online – we will not accept paper copies) The email addresses of three recommenders will be required in order to complete your application.
- Personal Statement (must be submitted online – we will not accept paper copies). An example of what needs to be included in the personal statement can be found on our FAQ page.
- GRE scores – scores must be from 2006 or later. If you have not already taken the GRE, you will want to do so as early as possible, keeping in mind that it can take between 4-6 weeks for the official scores to reflect in your application. We recommend if you have taken the GRE, that you self report your scores as part of your application, however, official scores are to be sent directly to the Graduate School. Please note: UNC’s institution code is 5816, and you can either leave the Department code blank, or choose any Department Code that is closely related to our program (example: 0299). The Graduate School does not have a departmental code, and only uses the institution code. For more information about the GRE click here.
- TOEFL score - if you are an international student, and have a degree from a university in the US, then you are exempt from taking the TOEFL. If you are an international student, and do not have a degree from a university in the US, then you are required to take the TOEFL. Scores must be from a TOEFL test that was taken no more than two years ago. Please note: UNC’s institution code is 5816 and you can either leave the Department code blank, or choose any Department Code that is closely related to our program (example: 0299). The Graduate School does not have a departmental code, and only uses the institution code. If you are a degree candidate in a university where English is the SOLE language of instruction, you must submit an official verification from that university that English is the SOLE language of instruction along with your anticipated date of graduation. If the degree or an official verification is not received, the TOEFL score will be required. Please note that this letter must be mailed directly to the Graduate School at the address provided below. Detailed exceptions from the TOEFL can be found on the Graduate School website.
- All international students MUST complete a financial certificate. For details about this process, please click here. Since we provide full funding for our students, including international students, it is not necessary for you to provide any financial documentation of self support. We have detailed directions explaining exactly how you need to fill out the financial certificate to show the Program is providing your support. Click here for our instruction document on how to complete your form. Click here to access financial certificate form.
- PLEASE NOTE: do not submit copies of publications, or any additional materials than what we are requesting in the application, since we will not be reading them during the review process. You may detail your research projects, papers, and other experience within your resume/CV.
- It is not necessary for you to fill in any information on the Work and Volunteer page of the application. All we are requesting on this page is for you to upload a current resume/CV.
- It is not necessary for you to fill in any information on the Awards, Recognition, and Activities page. If you have any of these items to highlight, please list them in your resume/CV.
- At any time, you can look at your checklist in your application to see if there are any items left to be included in your application. If there are no checklist items, there are no additional items needed. Also, after you have submitted your application, it takes the Graduate School time to go through the entire application and mark your application complete - even if you see on your end there are no checklist items remaining. Please do not be concerned if your application shows a status of incomplete. If you are able to see the materials in your application, then we are able to see your application materials. When we are ready to review your application, if there are any materials missing, we will contact you personally.
For Graduate School information:
UNC Graduate School
CB# 4010, 200 Bynum Hall
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-4010
For program information:
130 Mason Farm Road
1125 Bioinformatics Building
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7108