Oermann and Dr. Ewend's Manuscript to be Published:
Eric Oermann, a Doris Duke fellow who worked with Neurosurgery last year, and Dr. Matt Ewend were notified yesterday via email that their manuscript entitled "Predicting Survival in Patients With Brain Metastases Treated With Radiosurgery Using Artificial Neural Networks" is scheduled for publication in the June 2013 issue of NEUROSURGERY®. Congratulations! The Department looks forward to future fine publications.
Dr. Bullitt Publishes Four Papers in Last Year:The globetrotting Dr. Elizabeth Bullitt traveled to Mongolia in December and sent us this photo, taken with the camera the Department gave her as a retirement gift, holding a hunter eagle. You can see a not-so-lucky fox in the background (on the horse) that was caught by this hunter eagle. When Dr. Bullitt is not playing the role of eagle whisperer, she continues to publish papers. Four publications in the last year are listed below:
- Burcu A, Pataki G, Wang H, Ladha A, Bullitt E, Marron JS. New Approaches to Principal Component Analysis for Trees. Statistics in Biosciences 4:132-156, 2012. Paper is available electronically on SpringerLink.
- Alfaro C.A, Aydin B, Bullitt E, Ladha A, Valencia C.E. Dimension reduction in principal component analysis for trees. ARXiv e-prints (1202.2371) Feb 2012. Full text available
- Yuan Wang, J. S. Marron, Burcu Aydın, Alim Ladha, Elizabeth Bullitt, and Haonan Wang. Nonparametric Regression Model with Tree-Structured Response. Accepted by Journal of the American Statistical Association 2012. Full text available
- Chang Hsin-Wen, Iyer Hari, Bullitt Elizabeth, Wang Haonan (2013). Generalized Linear Mixed Models for Branching Probabilities of Brain Artery Systems. Statistical Modeling of Branching Probabilities for Tree-structured Data Objects (2013) accepted for publication by Model Assisted Statistics and Applications (MASA).
Dr. Orning Accepts Fellowship at University of Illinois:
The Department congratulates Jenny Orning on her acceptance of combine endovascular and open cerebrovascular fellowship at the University of Illinois – Chicago.
Dr. Ewend Presents at AORN:
Dr. Matt Ewend spoke to Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses (AORN) OR nurses on February 16 on minimally invasive pituitary surgery at the Friday Center. A total of 95 operating nurses from the region including a strong representation of UNC OR nurses attended.
Teaching Conferences Next Week:
- Monday, February 25, 4:00pm-5:00pm: Perinatal Care Conference, Ground Floor Conf Room #4, Women’s Hospital;
- Monday, February 25, 5:30pm-8:30pm: Surgical Skills Lab, Skull and Cortical Surface Anatomy, Skills Lab, 3100 Thurston Bowles Bldg;
- Wednesday, February 27, 7:00am-7:40am: Grand Rounds, Morbidity and Mortality - Jason Blatt (since it was canceled last week), WHB0122 Radiology Conference Room;
- Wednesday, February 27, 4:00pm-5:00pm: Phase I/Melanoma/Brain/Sarcoma/\Developmental Therapeutics POD Meeting, POB 3101;
- Thursday, February 28, 4:00pm-5:00pm: Pediatric Oncology Tumor Board, Small Conference Room in Cancer Hospital;
- Friday, March 1, 7:30am-8:30am: Multidisciplinary Brain Tumor Conference, CG221 Cancer Hospital