The Pituitary Tumor Treatment Team at UNC believes strongly that all patients benefit from a team approach to their care. UNC Endocrinologists, Neurosurgeons, Radiation Oncologists, Neuroradiologists and Neuroophthalmologists partner together to provide true multidisciplinary care for patients with pituitary tumors. The centerpiece for this is the Multidisciplinary Pituitary Clinic. Patients can come for a single visit, and receive MRI and appropriate blood tests, then see the Endocrinologist and Neurosurgeon together in a shared clinic. This weekly clinic provides patients with real-time convenient access to all of their specialists on a single day.Following the Pituitary Clinics, a Multidisciplinary Pituitary Conference is held where all members of the Treatment Team, including the endocrinology, neurosurgery, radiation oncology, radiation and pathology teams, to discuss their cases.
Using this team approach, patients are directed to the type of care (medical, surgical, radiation, observation) that is most appropriate for their particular tumor.
Patients wishing to schedule appointments in the Multidisciplinary Pituitary Clinic can contact the Clinic Coordinator.
- Department of Neurosurgery: Matthew G. Ewend, MD; Deanna M. Sasaki-Adams, MD; Julie L. Sharpless, MD
- Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery: Brent A. Senior, MD, FACS, FARS; Adam M. Zanation, MD; Charles S. Ebert, Jr., MD, MPH
- Department of Radiation Therapy: David E. Morris, MD
- Department of Radiology: J. Keith Smith, MD, PhD
Resources and Links for Patients with Pituitary Tumors:
- The Pituitary Society
- Pituitary Adenomas
- Pituitary Tumors
- Cushing’s Disease
- Surgery for Pituitary Tumors
- Radiosurgery for Pituitary Tumors