Honors & Awards
Austin Findley, MD received First place for "Excellence in Suturing" at the AAGL Workshop on Suturing, Operative Hysteroscopy and Advanced Laparoscopic Techniques for first year laparoscopy fellows.
Jason Franasiak, MD and Matt Grace, MD were awarded the Kaiser Permanente Excellence in Teaching Award for the Department of OB/GYN. This is award is presented by the rising 4th year medical school class to an upper level and a first year OB/GYN resident each year at the 2011 Whitehead Lecture and Award Ceremony.
Jennifer Mersereau, MD and JaYeon Kim, MD received a TraCS $2k grant for their project entitled "Role of estrogen in breast cancer development in women with BRCA gene mutation”.
Matthew Siedhoff, MD MSCR and Erin Carey, MD's video entitled "Laparoscopic hysterectomy, resection of endometriosis nodule with ureterolysis, appendectomy" was selected for the 2011 Surgical Film Festival's national DVD.
Presentations - Listed by Meetings
Infectious Disease Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology in Chicago IL from August 11-13, 2011
- E Bleecker, D Budwit, J Smith, L Rahangdale.
Management of CIN 2 in Young Women
- L Wittman, E Berggren, L Rahangdale.
Fertility Intentions in a Cohort of HIV-infected Pregnant Women.
Chescheir N, Menard MK.
Scheduled Deliveries: Avoiding Iatrogenic Prematurity.
Am J Perinatol. 2011 Aug 22. [Epub ahead of print]
Doherty IA, Stuart GS.
Couples, sexual networks, populations: implications for use of coitus interruptus.
Sex Transm Dis. 2011 Jul;38(7):675.
Geller E, Hankins K, Parnell BA, Robinson B and Dunivan G.
Diagnostic Accuracy of Retrograde and Spontaneous Voiding Trials for Postoperative Voiding Dysfunction: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
Obstetrics & gynecology, (2011); Vol. 118, No. 3, 637-42.
Parnell BA and Matthews CA.
Robot-Assisted Techniques and Outcomes in the Realm of Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery.
Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, (2011); Vol. 54, No. 3, 412–19.
Varner MW, Rice MM, Anderson B, Tolosa JE, Sheffield J, Spong CY, Saade G, Peaceman AM, Louis JM, Wapner RJ, Tita AT, Sorokin Y, Blackwell SC, Prasad M, Thorp JM Jr, et al.
Influenza-Like Illness in Hospitalized Pregnant and Postpartum Women During the 2009-2010 H1N1 Pandemic.
Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Sep;118(3):593-600.
From Twitter (Includes IN THE NEWS)
- IN THE NEWS: Study Finds PTSD Linked To Low Weight Infants - Chapelboro.com - Serving the Greater Chapel Hill, Carrboro Area. http://www.chapelboro.com/pages/10493684.php
- VIDEO: What are clinical trials? UNC's Dr. Matthews answers patient questions and how to stay informed http://bit.ly/nLYKjV @NAFCorg
- IN THE NEWS: Should cystic fibrosis carrier screening be offered? UNC's Genetic Counselor Patricia Devers answers that question http://bit.ly/r0uqdW
- IN THE NEWS: Postpartum Depression & Difficulty Breast-Feeding May Go Hand in Hand http://healthland.time.com/2011/08/05/do-depression-and-difficulty-breast-feeding-go-hand-in-hand/ via @TIMEHealthland UNC's Dr. Stuebe interviewed
- Join Dr. Wesley Fowler on 9/28 at UNC Wellness Center for "Overview of Gynecological Cancer" http://on.fb.me/o8dsGY
- IN THE NEWS: Breastfeeding May Cut Risk of Some Breast Cancers http://bit.ly/q7j8f7 @WebMD UNC's Dr. Stuebe interviewed
- IN THE NEWS: Do birth control pills make women gain weight? http://ow.ly/65Pju UNC's Dr. David Grimes "weighs" in on this @slate
- IN THE NEWS: N.E.D. the Band is coming back to North Carolina! Two locations on Two nights - check it out and buy your tickets early! http://ow.ly/67QAX
- What is best way to evaluate post-op voiding dysfunction? http://ow.ly/6ahIy Recent UNC publication answers that question.
- Update | Fetal Surgery for Spina Bifida at UNC http://ow.ly/6bxgp
- IN THE NEWS: What is impact of chemotherapy on fertility? @UCSF study answer that question featuring lead author UNC's Dr. Letourneau http://ow.ly/6c2UM
- IN THE NEWS: Great article about NED @livestrong http://ow.ly/6crAd
- Saturday 8/27 Chapel Hill | Cocktails for Cancer A Fundraiser for Women's Cancer Check it out http://ow.ly/6cskx
- IN THE NEWS: ABC Medical Moments with @DrRichardBesser : Fetal Genetic Testing http://ow.ly/6cstv