UNC Lineberger honored five clinical fellows for their research accomplishments and clinical excellence.
Emily Ko, MD
- Received UNC Lineberger research fellow award. Click to read more...
- Received the American Society of Clinical Oncologists 2012 Conquer Cancer Foundation Young Investigators Award: $50,000 research grant to support young rising junior faculty as they transition from fellowship to faculty appointment. The title of her research was "Metformin for the Treatment of Endometrial Hyperplasia".
Promotions & Appointments
- AnnaMarie Connolly, MD has been appointed to serve on Residency Review Committee for Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- Anne Z. Steiner MD, MPH has been promoted to Associate Professor.
- Gretchen S. Stuart MD, MPHTM was selected to become a member of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America National Medical Committee. This is a three year term which will begin January 1, 2013.
- Sarah Verbiest, DrPH, MSW, MPH has been appointed as senior advisory consultant to the CDC for the national Preconception Health and Health Care (PCHHC) Initiative. Read more...
- The Center for Maternal and Infant Health received a $850,000 two year grant from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. This funding will allow us to develop a 9 state regional coalition to improve the health of women and infants in the southeast US. For more information about this project go to www.EveryWomanSoutheast.org.
- Amy G. Bryant, MD, MSCR was awarded a research grant from the Society of Family Planning in the amount of $15,000 for her proposal entitled " Etonogestrel-releasing subdermal contraceptive implant for adolescents in the postpartum period: a randomized controlled trial." This grant provides resource support for Dr. Bryant to conduct a randomized controlled trial of effective contraception for postpartum adolescents.
- Jeffrey Stringer, MD received an NIH grant for $3 million for his research entitled "Point-of-care virologic testing to improve outcomes of HIV-infected children".
- Gretchen S. Stuart, MD, MPTM was awarded a Mid-Career Mentor Grant from the Society of Family Planning in the amount of $40,000 for her proposal entitled "A research and mentorship program in long acting reversible contraception (LARC): North Carolina, Malawi and Zambia."
This grant provides salary and resource support for Dr. Stuart to provide mentorship to UNC OB-GYN Faculty Drs. Tang and Chibwesha who will be based in Malawi and Zambia, Dr. Amy Bryant based in Chapel Hill, and Mr. Gift Kamanga a research faculty based at UNC Project in Malawi.
- Jeffrey Wilkinson, MD and Margaret Moyo, RN, medical and nursing director respectively of the Freedom from Fistula Foundation (FFFF) in Malawi, received a Beit Trust Grant Award of £34,000 Great British Pounds to renovate an operating room for FFFF.
- Denniz Zolnoun, MD received an R01 grant for $2.5 million as the co-PI for her research entitled "A Necessary Multi-Parametric Evaluation of Vulvodynia". This is a 2-year grant.
Filed under: June2012H&H