OIA Global Health Resource Library
Our office has a wide array of global health books, documentaries, text books, and Spanish language study materials available for students and residents to checkout. You can access the materials in 1066 Bondurant Hall, and see a general list of titles below.
Q&A Guidance for Medical Students and Residents Considering a Global Health Career
International Health Resources at UNC
International Student Groups at UNC
Local International Resources (in the Triangle)
Triangle Global Health Consortium (monthly breakfast lectures – open to students)
FHI 360 (formerly Family Health International)
Other Helpful Resources
Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH)
The consortium of Universities for Global Health is committed to building collaborations and exchange of knowledge among interdisciplinary university global health programs working across education, research and service.
Global Health Education Consortium (GHEC)
- GHEC (formerly IHMEC, and now merged with CUGH) is a consortium of faculty and health care educators dedicated to international health education in U.S. and Canadian medical schools and residency programs. Useful information on funding sources, elective opportunities, international health resources, etc.
American Medical Student Association (AMSA) International Health Website
- The AMSA global health committee international health website has an enormous amount of information about international health in medical education issues, including resource lists, medical school curricula, funding possibilities, info on residencies with international health tracks, and "bringing international health home" ideas. The on-line clinical and research curriculum are also available on this page.
American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) International Activities Office
- Initiative of the AAFP to coordinate/support international health work in AAFP, particularly consultation roles in the development of family medicine internationally (known as the Center for International Health Initiatives or CIHI)
American Academy of Pediatrics
International Child Health - Funding an International Health Elective http://www.aap.org/sections/ich/resfunding.htm
Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM)
- STFM also has a very active international health committee working on issues of international medical education.
International Federation of Medical Students' Association (IFMSA)
The IFMSA also has a useful research exchange projects database that is useful for finding existing research projects overseas: www.ifmsa.net/public/searchredb.php
Association of Reproductive Health Professionals - Global Opportunities Tool
Institute for International Medicine (INMED)
Doctors for Global Health
- Non-profit, non-affiliated organization working to improve health and human rights world-wide.
International Medical Volunteer Association
Christian Medical Fellowship - Healthserve (UK)
University of Arizona - Global Health
- Every July they offer a tuition-FREE preparatory course for medical students and others in health care fields who plan to work in a developing country. Detailed and updated information about the course, including the application form, can be found at http://www.globalhealth.arizona.edu/IHIndex.html
Yale University Global Health Scholars Program
Keck School of Medicine Office for Global Health
- Information about international programs, preparation, student experiences