The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is ranked highly among its peers. For more information about recent rankings please read UNC School of Medicine again ranked highly by U.S. News & World Report.
UNC School of Medicine again ranked highly by U.S. News & World Report
Applications are accepted year-round, and most students apply 3-6 months in advance. You may apply at any time and students are usually notified of admission or rejection within 3-4 weeks. However, we cannot begin confirming specific elective course until early June (for Periods 2-6) and early October (for Periods 7-12). We confirm specific electives in the order of accepted applications.
Click here to view the UNC Academic Year Elective Calendar.
Students must be in their final year of medical school upon arrival at UNC for an elective to be eligible for participation in the IVS Program. You must be in good standing at your home institution and have completed a criminal background check and/or have no criminal violations. To participate in electives at UNC School of Medicine, you must submit the following completed documentation to the Office of International Activities:
- Application form- To upload the remaining documents electronically, use your email address and password to log back into your online application. After you log in you should have two choices “update application” and “upload documents.” Please email the Office of International Activities when all documents have been uploaded successfully.
- Visiting Medical Students Health form, vaccination, and/or serological records
- Cover letter- This letter should outline your personal educational goals that you hope to realize through studying abroad, specifically at the University of North Carolina, as well as your long-term career plans.
- CV or Resumé
- English translation of your medical school transcript and grades
- Copy of your USMLE Step I score report- To participate in electives at UNC School of Medicine, you must have a passing score on the USMLE Step 1 examination or Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (a passing score on the German 'Physikum' exam is also acceptable). An evaluation from a clinical elective at another US institution may be accepted as a substitute for a USMLE score in some instances.
- Copy of your TOEFL score report- Official TOEFL scores are required for all students from medical schools where English is not the language of instruction. Minimum acceptable TOEFL scores are 590 for the Paper-based Test and 100 for the Internet-based Test. If your home medical school uses English as the language of instruction you may submit a statement to that effect, however, TOEFL scores may also be required by UNC for any applicant.
- Dean’s Office Certification form printed on your school’s stationery or containing signature and seal/ stamp of your institution
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members at your home medical school or from faculty/physicians who have observed you during other electives
- $100 non-refundable application fee- Checks and money orders should be made payable to ‘UNC School of Medicine’. Checks must be drawn on a US bank to be accepted.
We recommend documents be submitted in PDF format for easy uploading. Applications will not be reviewed for a decision until all documentation is successfully submitted.
UNC charges a $2000 per elective fee in addition to the non-refundable $100 application fee. You do not need to pay the elective fee unless you are accepted for electives at UNC. The non-refundable $100 application fee is a one-time fee, regardless of the number of requested electives or a change to your application. All checks must be valid for deposit in a U.S. bank and made payable to the ‘UNC School of Medicine'.
Fees do not include housing. Each student is responsible for arranging his or her housing, though we send a list of potential housing contacts to all students accepted into our program.
- Visiting students cannot participate in APS courses, SURS courses, or AHEC AI courses. Additionally, visiting students are not eligible to participate in Internal Medicine (MEDI) courses located in Charlotte, NC
- If you intend to apply for an elective in the department of Dermatology (DERM 401, 402) email Cherie Ezuka for pre-approval before submitting your application materials to our office
- If you intend to apply for pediatric (PEDS) electives, you must have received high marks in your core rotations in pediatrics and internal medicine, and these grades must appear on your transcript or a letter from your school must provide this information
- If you intend to apply for family medicine (FMME) electives, please note that FMME 417 is only available for blocks 7-12
If your application is approved by the Admissions Committee, we will then work on confirming your specific elective course from the list of your preferences. The electives you list on your application are for scheduling purposes only and are not used to determine admission. If you are accepted and your preferred electives are unavailable, we will contact you for additional preferences. When your elective is confirmed you will receive a Course Confirmation Notice that lists your elective course title and course dates.
Since UNC students have priority for registration, it is not possible to guarantee that you will be able to take the particular elective for which you apply; however, we are usually able to place visiting students in one of their choices. Please note that some departments (example: ANES) are completely full with our own UNC students for certain months, but you can always ask us about availability before applying and review the Historical Data for IVS Scheduled Electives. You are expected to attend the elective every day unless you have received authorization from the course director to be absent. Failure to comply may result in immediate termination of your participation in the elective.
If you cannot attend a scheduled elective, please notify the Office of International Activities by email immediately. If you fail to notify the Office of International Activities of your cancellation at least 8 weeks prior to the start of your elective, UNC will withdraw you from any future scheduled electives and your school will be notified.
The grade for student performance in an elective will be given as “Fail,” “Pass,” “High Pass” and “Honors” on an evaluation form, which may also contain comments. You will receive the same evaluation form as our UNC medical students, and this is the only evaluation that you will receive in our program.
If you have read and understood the information above, please proceed to the online International Visiting Students Application Form. After completing the initial application form, please log back in to upload the required documents in electronic format.
Electronic documents are strongly preferred. If you are unable to complete the online application form, download a paper application from the application link. The paper application is only necessary to complete if you did not fill the online application. Please note, it is not necessary to "check", or upload any documentation to the application field if you completed your application online. The application field will only appear completed if you submit a paper application, because this field is only necessary for applicants who were unable to apply through the online database.