Faculty Multimedia Development Lab
Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
67 MacNider Hall
- About Slide Scanning
- Start the Scanning Software
- Loading Slides
- Prescan and Adjusting the Scan
- Final Scan
- Getting More Help
The 35mm slide scanner can scan both color and black & white slides. The slide feeder allows you to automatically feed and continuously scan up to 50 mounted slides at one time. The slide feeder can be used with either the Dimage Scan Multi utility software or slides can be scanned directly into Photoshop. Slides are placed into the scanner and imported using graphic or scanning software. We recommend using the Dimage Scan Multi utility software to import images from the slide scanner. Here's how....
Start the Dimage Scan Multi software by selecting Programs, Dimage Scan Multi ver2.0, DS Multi2 Utility from the Start button on the Windows 2000 taskbar.
- Lift the cover.
- Raise and hold the pressure bar on the "IN" column located on the left side of the slide feeder.
- Insert your slides emulsion side down. The emulsion side is the non-reflective, gray side or the side that would face toward the screen if you were using a projector. Make sure the slides are oriented vertically, as shown below.
- Do not fill the slide feeder past the fill line.
- Gently close the slide feeder cover.
Prescan and Adjusting the Scan
- Click the Prescan button in the Main window. The prescan will begin. When the prescan is complete, the prescanned image appears in the Prescan window.
NOTE: Any image correction done to the prescanned image using the buttons under the Prescan tab or the Image Correction tab will be applied to all other slides in the slide feeder.
- Click the Rotate Left (1) or Rotate Right (2) button if needed.
- Click the Flip Horizontal (3) or Flip Vertical (4) button if needed.
- You can enlarge the preview by clicking the Full-Scale View button (5) or the Zoom button (6), then using the Scoll (7) button to scroll around the image.
- Auto Focus (10) or Manual Focus (11) on a certain portion of the prescanned image if needed. AE Area Lock (8 & 9) is available only when Auto Expose for Slides in the Preferences is checkmarked. The AE Lock button is not available for positive film.
- Click the Auto Crop (12) button if you want the images to be cropped automatically. Remember, all other slides in the slide feeder will be cropped exactly like the prescanned image if you choose the Auto Crop button.
- To reset the prescanned image to its original settings, select the Reset button at the bottom left of the prescanned image.
- Click on the Scan button in the Command window. The file save dialog box will appear.
- Select the file type (BMP, JPEG, or TIFF), specify the file destination and input the file name to be saved. When selecting JPEG as the file type, select the compression rate from the Compression options (Low, Medium, or High).
- Click on Save. Every time an image is scanned, the image is saved with the file name you specified adding a two digit number at the end of the file name. For example, when inputting pediatrics as the file name, the first image is saved as pediatrics00 and subsequent images are numbered pediatrics01, pediatrics02....
Getting More Help
If you need additional help or have advanced questions about using the 35mm scanner, ask at the Multimedia Development Lab (67 MacNider).
This document is a publication of the Office of Information Systems, School of Medicine at The University of North Carolina. It may be copied for individual or non-profit use. Please send comments about this publication to email@example.com.