There are a number of steps in applying for the Carolina Medical Student Research Program (CMSRP). If you have any questions along the way, please contact the Office of Medical Student Research.
Step 1 - Identify a mentor
Step 2 - Develop a research topic
Do this in conjunction with your mentor. If you are hoping to do a short-term research project, remember to limit the research design: 8-12 weeks is a short period of time.
Step 3 - Complete the application.
There are 5 items that comprise the full application. The forms are attached below. Read the instructions carefully and if you have any questions, please contact our Office.
The application and student biosketch forms have been formatted so that you can save them to your hard drive and type in your information. If you have problems using them please contact Tiffany Durham.
- Application: Please fill out the CMSR application online. Make sure you read and follow all instructions to the letter. ONLY COMPLETE THE APPLICATION IF YOU HAVE ALREADY SECURED EVERY REQUIRED DOCUMENT AND MERGED ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS INTO ONE PDF FILE. FAILURE TO DO THIS WILL RENDER YOUR SUBMISSION DISQUALIFIED.
- Your biosketch: (Word document) Please complete this form. (Click here for an example)
- A letter of support from your mentor. The letter should be reasonably detailed as to the project, expected support to be given to the student in the way of mentoring, technical help, and expected outcomes. Mentor should explicitly state that the student understands the hypothesis and is the primary author of the research design method and results. The letter must also describe the precise role the student will play in the project. Your letter must include your mentor's signature. Please scan the letter and attach it with the application package.
- Your mentor’s biosketch. Request a copy of your mentor’s NIH-style biosketch. Please include it with the application package.
- A written proposal: Use headings as shown in “”. Include your proposal with your application. Click here for sample proposals. Please keep in mind that you must have IRB and/or IACUC approval or exemption before you start working on your research project. (Your mentor can help you with this.)
Step 4 - Apply
Applications must be electronically submitted here. Remember, all supporting documents must be submitted merged as one PDF file.
The application for summer funding (May-August 2015) is due (and must be submitted online) to the Office of Medical Student Research Friday, February 13, 2015 by 5:00pm. Applications submitted after that date will not be considered for funding.
Proposals submitted for funding during the summer (May-August) are due on February 13, 2015. Proposals will be evaluated by a study committee comprised of UNC faculty members. The committee will evaluate the proposals based on their preparation, design and feasibility. Each proposal will be given a number and rank ordered. We will fund as many applications as there are funds available. Students will be informed of the committee’s decision mid April, 2015..
A short orientation will be held in May 2015 for all students participating in our summer CMSRP. Once you are selected for funding, you will be asked to agree to the rules and regulations stipulated by your funding source.