Student Requirements and Responsibilities for all funding sources with the Carolina Medical Student Research Program
- Medical students are eligible after their first completed semester. No exceptions.
- Awardees cannot be registered for classes during their appointment or receive academic credit for work performed on the research project.
- Awardees are expected to spend 100% of their time (40 hrs/wk) on the project during the funded period.
* The project period will be between 8-12 weeks.
* Awardees cannot receive concurrent federal funding.
* Awardees must submit all IRB & IACUC protocol numbers before starting their research projects.
* Awardees must attend a course in ethics and oral presentation skills if these are offered during their period of appointment.
* Awardees must attend bi-monthly research luncheons with UNC faculty.
* Awardees must submit an abstract and research report on their findings at the end their experience
* Awardees must note the source of their funding on any presentation or publication of their findings.
* If the awardee pursues research outside of the United States, they will be bound by the rules and regulations set by the University. These include, among others, the purchase of "Evacuation Insurance". Please contact Pattie Currie for more information about UNC regulations regarding international experiences.
* Awardees are expected to participate in the John B. Graham Student Research Society's Student Research Day in the January following their research summer.
Additional stipulations for those receiving funding through the NIH/NIDDK Short Term Research Training Program
* Awardees must complete a questionnaire to assess their experience at the end of their research experience .
* Students who drop out of the program will be required to pay back any funds distributed to them.
* Awardees will receive a portion of their stipend in the early part of the summer and must submit their final paper to our office in order to receive the remainder of their stipend. If they fail to do so, they must return their previous payment. As stipends are now direct deposited, each awardee is asked to fill out a direct deposit form.
* Students who engage in human subjects research may be required to submit an additional enrollment form.
* The awardee must note the source of their funding on any presentation or publication of their findings. (e.g. "John Doe is supported by a training grant from NIDDK (T35 DK07386)" )
* To facilitate future reports to the NIH students must agree to respond to our annual email solicitations regarding publications arising from their research training.