- BA: Temple University
- MD: Temple University Medical School
- Residency: Albert Einstein Medical Center
- Fellowship: AONA - Association for Study of Internal Fixation - Germany
|Selected Honors, Awards, and Recognitions
- Edwin G. Bovill Award for Best Paper, “ A Prospective Comparison of Antegrade and Retrograde Femoral Intramedullary Nailing.” Presented at the 14th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association (Vancouver, BC), 1998
- “Retrograde Intramedullary Nailing of Femoral Diaphyseal Fractures,” Ostrum R, DiCicco J, Lakatos R, Poka A. Presented at the 13th Annual Orthopaedic Trauma Association Meeting, Louisville, Kentucky, and selected as one of the ten best papers for presentation at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Specialty Day
- Selected “Top Doctors in Columbus” in Columbus Monthly Magazine, September 1998
- Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America as selected by Woodward and White from 1998 to present
- Selected “Top Doctors” in South Jersey Magazine 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011
- “Orthopaedic Surgery Attending of the Year,” as selected by residents at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, 2006
- “Excellence in Teaching Award,” UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 2007
- Selected “Top Doctors” in New Jersey Monthly 2009, 2010, 2011
- Selected “Top Doctors” in SJ Magazine, 2008
- Selected “Top Docs for Kids” in SJ Magazine, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Edward J. Ill, M.D. Award for Excellence in Medicine, 2008
- The #13 most cited first author in, “ Leading 20 at 20: Top Cited Articles and Authors in the Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, 1987-2007” J Orthop Trauma (24):53-58, 2010
- Highlighted paper selected by the program committee at the 2010 OTA Annual Meeting. “Is Septicemia a contraindication to internal fixation in the multiply traumatized patient?,” October 2010
- Selected “Top Doctors” in Philadelphia Magazine, 2011
- Musculoskeletal trauma
- Post-traumatic reconstruction
- Nonunions, malunions
- Foot & ankle surgery
||Professor of Orthopaedics, UNC School of Medicine
||Professor, Department of Surgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
||Director of Orthopaedic Trauma, Cooper Hospital/University Medical Center, Camden, NJ
||Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
||Clinical Associate Professor; Associate Director of Orthopaedic Trauma; Direcgtor of Trauma Research; Grant Medical Center, Columbus, OH
||Associate Professor (clinical track), Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
||Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
||Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA
|Recent Publications (see complete list at PubMed)
- Cannada LK, Anglen JO, Archdeacon MT, Herscovici D Jr, Ostrum RF. Avoiding complications in the care of fractures of the tibia. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008 Aug;90 (8):1760-8.
- Russell TA, Leighton RK, Ostrum R. Alpha-BSM Tibial Plateau Fracture Study Group. Comparison of autogenous bone graft and endothermic calcium phosphate cement for defect augmentation in tibial plateau fractures. A multicenter, propective, randomized study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008 Oct;90 (10):2057-61.
- Cannada LK, Jones TR, , Ostrum RF, et al. Retrograde Intramedullary Nailing of Femoral Diaphyseal Fractures Caused by Low-velocity Gunshots. Orthopedics. 2009 Mar;32(3).
- Ostrum R, Storm S, White K. The epiphyseal scar as a radiographic landmark for retrograde femoral nail insertion. Amer J Orthop XXXVIII, 9: 442-444, 2009.
- Ostrum R, Maurer JP. Distal Third Femur Fractures Treated With Retrograde Femoral Nailing and Blocking Screws. J Orthop Trauma 23 (9) 2009: 681-684.
- Nydick JA, Farrell ED, Marcantonio AJ, Hume EL, Marburger R, Ostrum RF. The use of clopidogrel (Plavix) in patients undergoing nonelective orthopaedic surgery. J Orthop Trauma 2010 Jun;24(6):383-6.
- Mani U, DeJesus D, Ostrum R. Arthroscopically Assisted Removal of Loose Bodies in Acute Acetabular Fractures: A Modified Anterior Technique.. Am J Orthop. 2013;42 (4):186-189.
- Ostrum RF. Orthopaedic Trauma Mythbusters: Intra-articular Fractures. Instr Course Lect. 2013:62:29-33.