Hello! The 42nd Annual Raney Visiting Professorship will be held May 17-18, 2013. We encourage those of you who have not been able to attend in the past to put forth a concerted effort to do so this year, to see old friends and colleagues. We ask those of you that have attended regularly to contact fellow alumni that were in your class and make plans to reconnect this year. We hope you will be able to attend all events, arriving at least in time for the research presentations on Friday. Let’s make our 42nd Raney Professorship special! Please let us know if you can come by filling out this on-line form, or contacting Cheryl Cooper via email or phone (919.966.9072).
Raney Visiting Professor
We are pleased to welcome Regis J. O'Keefe, MD, PhD, the Marjorie Strong Wehle Professor and Chair in the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation at the University of Rochester Medical Center, School of Medicine and Dentistry in Rochester, New York. He also serves as the Director of the Center for Musculoskeletal Research at the University of Rochester Medical Center. Dr. O'Keefe is an orthopaedic oncologist with a focus on tumors of bone, joints, and soft tissue. He also specializes in the treatment of fragility fractures occurring from osteoporosis, osteopenia, osteogenesis imperfecta, and low vitamin D.
Continuing Medical Education
Category II! Depending on your schedule, you can earn up to 13 hours of CME Category II credit by attending the academic sessions on Friday and Saturday.
There is a block of rooms reserved at the Rizzo Center in Meadowmont, where the Saturday night banquet will be held. Guests of the Rizzo Conference Center can make room reservations online by using the following booking link that has been established exclusively for the event with your dates and special guestroom rates: . Guests of the Rizzo Center enjoy:
- Overnight accommodations in McLean Hall. Guest rooms feature a micro-fridge, free wireless internet, flat screen TV, and electronic laptop safe.
- Full hot breakfast buffet in the historic DuBose House, a Georgian Revival gem listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Complimentary 24-hour guest pantries stocked with sodas, juice, popcorn, and assorted frozen treats .
- Complimentary shuttle service to the best of local attractions within 5 miles of Rizzo, including UNC, Franklin Street, and Southpoint Mall (inquire for hours).
- Access to a variety of on-site and nearby entertainment options. The Carolina-themed Sports Bar & Grill, located on the lower level of McLean Hall, is a favorite place for relaxation featuring big-screen TVs, darts, board games, poker table, and billiards. Additionally, attractive cafés and shops in the adjacent Meadowmont Village are just a short walk from the Conference Center.
- Many recreation choices including a fitness center, outdoor basketball court, bicycle rentals, jogging trails, and onsite formal gardens available for a casual stroll.
Visit www.rizzoconferencecenter.com for additional information about amenities, dining, and a destination guide with directions.
For assistance with special requests or voice reservations, please call the Rizzo Conference Center at 919-913-2098 and identify yourself as a guest of UNC Orthopaedics.
Other hotels in the area:
- Sheraton Chapel Hill (919.968.4900) 1 Europa Drive
- Carolina Inn (919.933.2001) 211 Pittsboro Street
- Courtyard by Marriott (919.249.5245) 100 Marriott Way
- Franklin Hotel (866.831.5999 or 919.442.9000) 311 West Franklin Street
- Hampton Inn (919.403.8700) 6137 Farrington Road, Exit 271 at I-40
- Hampton Inn (919.968.3000) 1740 Fordham Boulevard
- Siena Hotel (919.929.4000 or 800.223.7379):
The Raney academic schedule consists of full-day academic sessions on both Friday and Saturday, and culminating in the annual Raney lecture on Saturday afternoon. Friday morning/afternoon sessions are centered around the residents and the visiting professor, while Saturday afternoon is devoted to alumni education and specialty updates by the faculty. There will be a cookout for the alumni, faculty, residents and their families at the Hope Valley Country Club on Friday from 6:00-9:00 p.m. Saturday evening will be our annual black tie optional dinner at the Magnolia Ballroom, Paul J. Rizzo Conference Center.
Payment of $125 per adult includes the evening activities, and must be received by April 30, 2013. Please mail your check to Cheryl Cooper, UNC Orthopaedics, 3147 Bioinformatics Building, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7055.