The UNC Orthopaedics’ Sports Medicine team provides a unique blend of experience and innovation to its patients. As the primary orthopaedic providers for the UNC Tar Heel athletes, we thoroughly understand both the importance and risks of sports and we are intimately familiar with the injuries and solutions that are common among all levels of athletic abilities, professionals to weekend warriors. We are also researchers working with athletes to help prevent injury and expedite recovery to return to play sooner from injury. Sports medicine encompasses many conditions and injuries outside of the “sports” arena. Most muscle or activity-related injuries and conditions are treated by our Sports Medicine orthopaedists. Offering routine ACL reconstruction, along with unique minimally-invasive treatments like cartilage restoration, are only a few reasons why the UNC Orthopaedics’ Sports Medicine are in a league of their own.
Our sports medicine doctors work closely with athletic trainers, physical therapists and coaches to protect young athletes. We provide free physicals to the local area high school athletes twice a year.
- ACL reconstructions
- Multi-ligament reconstructions
- Treatment of articular cartilage injury, including microfracture, Oats, or Carticel
- Osteotomy and partial/total knee arthroplasty
- Arthroscopic surgery for meniscus and meniscus transplants
- Management of shoulder pain and rotator cuff disease
- Rotator cuff repair including revision surgery and tendon transfers
- Comprehensive management of shoulder Instability
- Shoulder arthroplasty including resurfacing, hemi-arthroplasty, and total shoulders
- PRP - Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy