- Provide excellent patient care. This is your primary goal on this rotation.
- Write notes on your patients daily.
- Write all orders on your patient in CPOE (to be co-signed).
- Update your patient’s information in the rounds report.
- Attend sign-out at 7AM to hear overnight events.
- Pre-round on your patients electronically and in person and be ready to present your patients at 8:30. This may mean getting to the hospital before 7AM.
- Attend all resident conferences. This usually means 7:45 morning report and noon conference, but they change, so ask the residents you see at conferences.
- Carry 3-5 patients.
- If things are slow, contact Internal Medicine second shift attending at 12pm by paging 123-7086 to help with ED admissions.
- Know your own goals and objectives for this course prior to starting and discuss them with you attending on day 1.
- Ask for and receive feedback.
- Ask the student to state his or her goals with you on day 1.
- State your expectations of the student clearly on day 1.
- Treat student as an acting intern. Interns do not need to follow their patients.
- Encourage and co-sign orders in CPOE (in the “unverified” tab in CPOE).
- Read (and use) daily progress notes from students.
- Support conference attendance (particularly medicine morning report).
- Teach as much as possible. Refer them to the optional curriculum on the course website.
- As work load allows, student may help with second shift admissions.
- Provide frequent feedback on notes, orders, professionalism and patient care. Consider the RIME format.
- At the end of your time with the student, write brief email (3-4 sentences) to course director with summary comments of student’s performance.
Contact course directors with any questions:
Rick Hobbs email@example.com or Eric Edwards firstname.lastname@example.org