The Teaching Center was formed by four faculty members in general pediatrics in order to improve the quality of teaching by UNC faculty and housestaff.
Our group currently has 3 major functions within the Department of Pediatrics:
- We are advisory to the Educational Oversight Committee;
- We offer a course to fellows and junior faculty at UNC entitled "Becoming an Effective Medical Educator"; and
- We do consultations for residents and faculty about their teaching. We have been involved in doing consultations for faculty in other institutions and have also given workshops in other institutions and at the North Carolina Pediatric Society.
Julie S. Byerley, MD, MPH
Harvey J. Hamrick, MD
E. Allen Liles, MD
John T. Benjamin, MD
|Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)|
- Will there be a charge should I request a consultation?
- What kinds of consultations does The Teaching Center do?
- Presentations for small and large groups
- Project preparation
- Curriculum Development and Analysis
- Workshops for divisions or for departments
- Review Teaching Portfolios
- Are consultations limited to those within UNC?
- Why have a monograph in addition to the information on the website?
- Is "office teaching" the same as "clinical teaching"?
- Is "inpatient teaching" the same as "small group teaching?"
- Why do you have evaluation tools in both the tab on the left and in each chapter?
A select number of resources are listed here. This list is by no means a complete list, but were the ones thought most pertinent when writing the monograph "How to Teach Effectively" and preparing our course "Becoming an Effective Medical Educator."
Adult Learning Theory
- Kaufman, DM ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: Applying Educational Theory in Practice. BMJ 2003;326:213-216.
- Theory into Practice Database: tip.psychology.org/theories.html
- Knowles MS et al. Andragogy in action: applying modern principles of adult learning. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1984.
- Vygotsky, LS. Mind in Society. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. 1978
- Schon DA. Educating the reflective practitioner: toward a new design for teaching and learning in the professions. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1987.
- Pediatrics in Practice: Teaching Strategies
- Neher JO, Gordon KC, Meyer B, Stevens N. A five-step "microskills" model of clinical teaching. J Am Board Fam Pract. 1992 Jul-Aug;5(4):419-24.
- Ende, J. Feedback in Clinical Medical Education. JAMA. 1983 Aug 12;250(6):777-81.
- Pangaro, L. A new vocabulary and other innovations for improving descriptive in-training evaluations. Acad Med. 1999 Nov;74(11):1203-7.
- ACGME Outcome Project, Key Considerations for Selecting Assessment Instruments and Implementing Assessment Systems. (Strengths and Weaknesses are outlined)
- ACGME Outcome Project, Toolbox of Assessment Methods.
- Vaughn, LM, Baker, RC, DeWitt, T. The Problem Learner. Teaching and Learning in Medicine. 1998;10(4): 217-22.
- Toolbox for Assessing and Improving Teaching, Resources for Improving Teaching, Office of Educational Development, School of Medicine, UNC-Chapel Hill. (Actual forms that can be used for evaluating peers and faculty in different kinds of teaching.)
- Harden RM. Ten questions to ask when planning a course or curriculum. Med Educ. 1986 Jul;20(4):356-65.
- Snyder S. A program to teach curriculum development to junior faculty. Fam Med. 2001 May;33(5):382-7.
- Workbook for Educational Program Planning. Excellence in Teaching Series, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine. Chapel Hill, NC, 2003.
Scholarship in Education
- MedEdPORTAL is a publishing venue through which faculty can disseminate their educational works;
- The American Association of Medical Colleges;
- The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME);
- The Council on Medical Student Education in Pediatrics;
- The Association of Pediatric Program Directors
- Harden RM , Grant J , Buckley G , Hart IR, BEME Guide No. 1: Best Evidence Medical Education. Med Teach. 1999 Nov; 21(6):553-62.
- Fincher RM, Simpson DE, Mennin SP, Rosenfeld GC, Rothman A, McGrew MC, Hansen PA, Mazmanian PE, Turnbull JM. Scholarship in teaching: an imperative for the 21st century. Acad Med. 2000 Sep;75(9):887-94.
- Glassick CE. Boyer's expanded definitions of scholarship, the standards for assessing scholarship, and the elusiveness of the scholarship of teaching. Acad Med. 2000 Sep;75(9):877-80.