Programs and Services
The Division of Pediatric GI offers services for a variety of complex issues, including:
Our pediatric procedures are performed in the Pediatric GI Procedures suite in N.C. Children's Hospital. Children undergoing procedures benefit from the expertise of anesthesiologists. They may be placed under deep sedation or general anesthesia. All children are carefully monitored by the anesthesia service. Patients recover in the pediatric recovery area.
Common procedures performed in the Pediatric GI suite:
- EGD (upper gastrointestinal endoscopy)
- Colonoscopy (lower gastrointestinal endoscopy)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Percutaneous liver biopsy
- Foreign body removal from esophagus or stomach
- Dilation of esophageal strictures
- Sclerosis of esophageal varices
- Banding of esophageal varices
We also have the advantage of collaboration with the adult GI center and access to services provided through the GI Procedure Suite in N.C. Memorial Hospital, which is next door on the UNC medical campus.
Common procedures performed in the adult GI suite:
- Anal and esophageal manometry
- pH probe testing
- Hydrogen breath testing (lactose, sucrose)
- Biofeedback with rectal manometry
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatogram (ERCP)
- Surgical Procedures
- Liver Transplantation
More information on these services, programs and procedures can be found on the GI Division section of the N.C. Children’s Hospital website.