William Rand Kenan, Jr. Professor
Department of Psychology
- Behavioral and Pharmacological Investigations of Opioid Analgesics
- Drugs of Abuse and Other Psychoactive Compounds
In the past 25 years, Dr. Dykstra's research has focused on the study of opioid analgesics, with particular focus on opioids that are less likely to produce physical dependence and abuse. Research in Dr. Dykstra's laboratory has examined the relationship between the analgesic effects of opioid analgesics and their interaction with specific opioid receptor types. A more recent research interest includes investigations of genetically-altered mice with relevance to drug dependence and the development of models of mouse behavior for examining behavioral phenotypes related to a range of behavioral disorders.
Click above for PubMed publications.
- Fischer, B.D., Ward, S.J., Henry, F.E. and Dykstra, L.A. (2009) Attenuation of morphine antinociceptive tolerance by a CB1 receptor agonist and a NMDA receptor antagonist: interactive effects. Neuropharmacology 58(2): 544-5. Abstract
- Ward, S.J., Rosenberg, M.B., Dykstra, L.A. and Walker, E.A. (2009) The CB1 antagonist SR141716 blocks cue-induced reinstatement of cocaine seeking and attenuates extinction behaviors predictive of relapse in mice. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 105(3): 248-55. Abstract
- Miller, L.L., Ward, S.J. and Dykstra, L.A. (2008) Chronic unpredictable stress enhances cocaine conditioned placed preference in CB1 receptor knockout mice. Behavioral Pharmacology, 19: 575-581. Abstract
- Fischer, B.D., Miller L.L., Henry, F., Picker, M.J. and Dykstra, L.A. (2008) Increased efficacy of mu-oioid agonist-induced antinociception by metabotropic glutmate receptor antagonists in C57BL/6 mice: Comparison with (-)-6-phosphonomethyl-deca-hydroisoquinoline-3-carboxylic acid (LY235959) Psychopharmacol. 198: 271-278. Abstract
- Fischer, B.D., Zimmerman, E.I., Picker, M.J. and Dykstra, L.A. (2008) Morphine in combination with metabotropic glutamate receptor antagonists on schedule-controlled responding and thermal nociception . J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 324:732-739. Abstract
- Ward, S.J., Walker, E.A. and Dykstra, L.A. (2007) Effect of cannabinoid CB1 receptor antagonist SR141716A and CB1 receptor knockout on cue-induced reinstatement of Ensure and corn-oil seeking in mice. Neurospychopharmacology 32(12):2592-600. Abstract
Office Phone: 919-962-6595