The UNC Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residency Program is an ACGME-accredited categorical, 4-year program (PGY-1 through PGY-4) that accepts 3 new PGY-1 residents per year. Applications are submitted through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) using the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) system.
All application documents must be submitted through ERAS.
The following materials are required in order for an application to be reviewed:
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- USMLE and/or COMLEX Step 1 Transcript
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Medical School Transcript
Selected applicants are granted interviews based on the following:
- Academic Record
- Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Community Service
- Demonstrated Interest in PM&R
- USMLE/COMLEX Scores
UNC Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation welcomes applicants from diverse and non-traditional backgrounds.
ERAS 2017 Season and Deadline Information
- Applications through ERAS will be reviewed beginning October 1st, and applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their application by that time. Applications received after October 31st will not be reviewed. Exceptions may be made only for applicants awaiting upload of letters of recommendation, but all other required items listed in the above "Application Instructions" section MUST be included. Interviews take place on selected Mondays and Fridays during November and December. Invitations are sent via email on a rolling basis beginning in October.
- ACGME ID: 3403621104
- NRMP Program Code: 1900340C0
Selected applicants will be invited to interview via email; please check your Spam folder. If notified for an interview, please contact us immediately, as interview offers are limited to availability.
In accordance with the ACGME and NRMP, we will not release any information regarding ranking. Applicants are ranked based on the merit of their application as well as impressions from the interview day. No preference is given to applicants with a strong stated interest in our program.
We do not offer "pre-match" employment for positions offered through the match. Additionally, we do not sponsor VISAs. The ECFMG will sponsor J-1 VISAs.
1) What type and how many positions do you offer? We offer three PGY-1 categorical positions each year.
2) Do you accept applications from Foreign Medical Graduates? Yes, we do accept applications from Foreign Medical Graduates, but outstanding credentials are often required to receive an invitation for interview. Also, all graduates of foreign medical schools must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates. All foreign graduates must meet all requirements of the Visa Qualifying Examination (VQE) or Foreign Medical Graduate Exam in the Medical Sciences (FMGEMS) prior to application. Per the University of North Carolina Graduate Medical Education Policy on Visas, UNC Hospitals will accept resident physicians who have been issued a J-1 visa and who hold a current ECFMG Certificate. H1-B visas are not sponsored at University of North Carolina Hospitals.
3) Do you have a minimum score for USMLE or COMLEX? There is no official minimum score, but most applicants invited to interview have passed on the first attempt.
4) Do you accept osteopathic (DO) applications? Yes, we welcome osteopathic applicants. However, we recommend, but do not require, USMLE scores.
5) Is my USMLE/COMLEX Step 2 score required? No, this is not required at the time of application, but will be considered, if available.
6) Do you have a graduation cutoff year? No, we do not require applicants to have graduated within the past year.
*If you have further questions, please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org
UNC's Graduate Medical Education Website
For general information regarding our GME Office's policies, salaries, benefits, and more, please visit the Graduate Medical Education pages at UNC Health Care.