Phone: (919) 966-4166
B.S., Medicine, Northwestern University
M.D., Northwestern University Medical School
Internship, Rotating–Surgery, Evanston Hospital (Northwestern University Medical Center)
Residency, Radiation Therapy and Psychiatry, University of North Carolina School of Medicine
Chief Resident, Consult–Liaison Service, University of North Carolina School of Medicine
Dr. McCartney is a member of the UNC Comprehensive Cancer Support Program (CCSP) where she provides psychiatric evaluation and treatment for patients, consultation to oncologists, and supervision to CCSP counselors. She supervises residents in their Psychopharmacology Clinic and on the Consultation Liaison Service. From 1987-2008, she was a senior administrator at UNC School of Medicine. Initially serving as Associate Dean for Student Affairs, she was promoted to the position of Executive Associate Dean for Medical Education where she directed the medical school’s units for Curriculum, Admissions, Student Affairs, Educational Development, Curricular and Classroom Support, and Continuing Medical Education. As a national peer reviewer in medical education she was an examiner for the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and a member of LCME survey teams for the accreditation of medical schools. Dr. McCartney has been a leader of state, regional and national organizations: President of the North Carolina Psychiatric Association, President of the North American Society of Psychosocial Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chair of the Committee on Women of the American Psychiatric Association (APA) and APA’s representative to the Council on Medical Specialty Societies. In the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), she was Chair of the Southern Group on Student Affairs. From 2009-2012, she was a faculty advisor in the Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine program (ELAM) which prepares senior women faculty at academic health centers to move into positions of institutional leadership.
- McCartney CF, Tresolini CP, Farel PB, Dent GA: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine. In: A Snapshot of Medical Student Education at the beginning of the 21st Century: Reports from 130 schools, Anderson MB (ed), Academic Medicine, 75 (September Supplement): S271-274, 2000.
- Downey J, McCartney CF: Psychiatric care of the patient with gynecologic cancer. In Psychiatry, Michels R, Cooper AM, Guze SB, Judd LL, Solnit AJ, Stunkard AJ, Weissman MM, Wilner PJ (eds), New Page Service, Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott–Raven, pp 1–9, 1998.
- Auchincloss SS, McCartney CF: Gynecologic Cancer. In Psycho–oncology, Holland JC. Breitbart W, Jacobsen PB, Lederberg MS, Loscalzo M, Massie MJ, McCorkle R (eds), New York, Oxford University Press, pp 359–370, 1998.
- Frick DE, McCartney CF, Lazarus JA: Supervision of sexually exploitative psychiatrists: APA district branch experience. Psychiatric Annals, 25(2):113–117, 1995.
- Golden RN, McCartney CF, Haggerty JJ, Raft D, Nemeroff CB, Ekstrom D, Holmes V, Simon JS, Droba M, Quade D, Fowler WC, Evans DL: The detection of depression by patient self–report in women with gynecologic cancer. International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine, 21(1): 17–27, 1991.