Phone: (919) 966-4161
B.S, Zoology, Wheaton College
M.D., Baylor College of Medicine
Intern, Medicine, Boston University
Resident, Psychiatry, Yale University, Yale New Haven Hospital, Yale Psychiatric Institute
Dr. Houpt is currently Dean Emeritus of the School of Medicine, former Vice Chancellor for Medical Affairs, and CEO of the UNC Health Care System at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill. He assumed the position of Dean of the School of Medicine and Vice Chancellor for Medical Affairs at UNC in 1997 and stepped down in 2004. He successfully worked to integrate the hospital and practice plan, and was named CEO of the UNC Health Care System in 1998. His research, teaching and clinical interests examine the interface between psychiatry and medicine, particularly the role of human behavior and psychiatric disorders in the expression of medical disorders.
1. Houpt JL, Orleans CS, George LK, Keith H, Brodie HK: The role of psychiatric and behavioral factors in the practice of medicine. American Journal of Psychiatry 137:37-47, 1980.
2. Orleans CT, George LK, Houpt JL, Brodie HK: How primary care physicians treat psychiatric disorders: a national survey of family practitioners. American Journal of Psychiatry 142:52-57, 1985.
3. Strain JJ, Pincus HA, Houpt JL, Gise LH, Taintor Z: Models of mental health training for primary care physicians. Psychosomatic Medicine 47:95-110, 1985.
4. Houpt, J.L., Orleans, C.S., George, L.K. & Brodie, H.K.H. The Importance of Mental Health Services to General Health Care, Ballinger Publishing Co., Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1979.
5. Houpt, J.L., Basic Books, New York, New York, (Same book as in #3 but separately published.)