Phone: (919) 843-7732
Fax: (919) 843-5730
B.A., Psychology, East Carolina University
M.A. Psychology, East Carolina University
Ph.D. Biological Psychology, University of Georgia
Postdoctoral training: Department of Pharmacology, East Carolina University Medical School
Research Fellowship, Brain and Development Research Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Dr. Johns studies the effects of drugs of abuse, particularly psychostimulants, on maternal behavior and aggression and how prenatal exposure to drugs alters the behavioral and biological development of offspring in a rodent model. Her research techniques range from behavioral to molecular, which allows her in collaboration with other scientists to examine a problem from many different perspectives. Dr. Johns also collaborates on human research projects looking at hormonal determinants of social/maternal behavior.
- McMurray, M.S., Williams, S.K., Jarrett, T.M.; Cox, E.T.; Fay, E.E.; Overstreet, D.; Walker, C.; Johns, J.M. (2008) Gestational ethanol and nicotine alters maternal behavior, oxytocin levels, and offspring ethanol drinking in rats (epub ahead of print). Neurotoxicology and Teratology, DOI: 10.1016/j.ntt.2008.07.001.
- McMurray, M.S., Joyner, P.W., Middleton, C.W., Jarrett, T. M., Elliott, D.L., Black, M.A., Hofler, V.E., Walker, C.H., and Johns, J.M. (2008) Intergenerational effects of cocaine treatment and rearing environment on aggressive behavior and oxytocin in rats (epub ahead of print). Invited Stress, DOI: 10.1080/10253890701850239.
- McMurray, M.S., Cox, E.T., Jarrett, T.M., Williams, S.K., Walker, C.H., Johns, J.M. (2008) Impact of gestational cocaine treatment or prenatal cocaine exposure on early postpartum oxytocin mRNA levels and receptor binding in the rat (epub ahead of print). Neuropeptides, DOI: 10.1016/j.npep.2008.05.003.
- Johns, J.M., McMurray, M.S., Hofler, V.E., Jarrett, T.M., Middleton, C.L., Elliott, D.L., Mirza, R., Haslup, A., Elliott, J.C., and Walker, C.H. (2007) Cocaine disrupts pup-induced maternal behavior in juvenile and adult rats. Neurotoxicology and Teratology 29: 634-641, DOI: 10.1016/j.ntt.2007.07.003.
- Jarrett, T.M., McMurray, M.S., Walker, C.H., and Johns, J.M. (2006) Cocaine treatment alters oxytocin mRNA production and receptor binding in postpartum rat dams. Neuropeptides 40(3): 161-167, DOI: 10.1016/j.npep.2006.03.002.