Phone: (919) 962-1909
Masters in Computer Science & Engineering; Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule [ETH]) Zürich, Switzerland
Graduate work at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule [ETH]) Zürich, Switzerland
Ph.D., Computer Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Dr. Styner is an assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry with a joint appointment in the Department of Computer Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC). He is co-director of the UNC Neuro Image Research and Analysis Laboratory and associate director of the Developmental Neuroimaging Core in the Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities at UNC.
Dr. Styner's main field of research is in medical image processing and analysis with application to neurodevelopmental studies using structural MRI and Diffusion Tensor Imaging.
- Y. Shi, S. J. Short, R. C. Knickmeyer, J. Wang, C. L. Coe, M. Niethammer, J. H. Gilmore, H. ZHU, and M. Styner, “Diffusion Tensor Imaging-Based Characterization of Brain Neurodevelopment in Primates” Cerebral cortex, Jan. 2012.
- J. J. Wolff, H. Gu, G. Gerig, J. T. Elison, M. Styner, S. Gouttard, K. N. Botteron, S. R. Dager, G. Dawson, A. M. Estes, A. C. Evans, H. C. Hazlett, P. Kostopoulos, R. C. McKinstry, S. J. Paterson, R. T. Schultz, L. Zwaigenbaum, and J. Piven, “Differences in White Matter Fiber Tract Development Present From 6 to 24 Months in Infants With Autism.,” Am J Psychiatry, Feb. 2012.
- Maltbie E, Bhatt K, Paniagua B, Smith RG, Graves MM, Mosconi MW, Peterson S, White S, Blocher J, El-Sayed M, Hazlett HC, Styner MA. Asymmetric bias in user guided segmentations of brain structures. NeuroImage, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 1315–1323, Jan. 2012
- Hazlett HC, Poe MD, Gerig G, Styner M, Chappell C, Smith RG, Vachet C, Piven J. Early brain overgrowth in autism associated with an increase in cortical surface area before age 2 years. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2011 May;68(5):467–476.
- Wang Y, Gupta A, Liu Z, Zhang H, Escolar ML, Gilmore JH, Gouttard S, Fillard P, Maltbie E, Gerig G, Styner M. DTI registration in atlas based fiber analysis of infantile Krabbe disease. NeuroImage 2011 Apr.;55(4):1577-1586
Additional publications may be found on PubMed.