This Foundation of Hope funded study is a genetic epidemiological investigation of eating disorders in a cohort of 40,000 Swedish twins. In addition, we have prospective data from 1973 obtained prior to the onset of anorexia that allows us to explore the impact of various risk factors on eventual risk for developing anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa.
Link to the study website here.
- Furberg H, Lichtenstein P, Pedersen NL, Bulik C, Lerman C, Sullivan PF. (2008) Snus use and other correlates of smoking cessation in the Swedish Twin Registry. Psychological Medicine, 38, 1299-1308. PMID: 18680625. PMC2914546.
- Furberg, H., Lichtenstein, P., Pedersen, N.L., Thornton, L.T., Bulik, C.M., Lerman, C., Sullivan, P.F. (2008) The STAGE Cohort: A prospective study of tobacco use among Swedish twins. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 10, 1727-1735. PMID: 18988069. PMC2914543.
- Bulik, C.M., Thornton, L., Root, T.L., Pisetsky, E., Lichtenstein, P., Pedersen, N.L. (2010) Understanding the relation between anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa in a Swedish national twin sample. Biological Psychiatry, 67, 71-77. PMID: 19828139. PMC2851013.
- Root, T.L., Thornton, L.M., Lindroos, A.K., Stunkard, A.J., Lichtenstein, P., Pedersen, N.L., Rasmussen, F., Bulik, C.M. (2010) Shared and unique genetic and environmental influences on binge eating and night eating: a Swedish twin study. Eating Behaviors, 11, 92-98. PMID: 20188292. PMC2830904.
- Lydecker, J.A., Pisetsky, E.M., Mitchell, K.S., Thornton, L.M., Kendler, K.S., Reichborn-Kjennerud, T., Lichtenstein, P., Bulik, C.M., Mazzeo, S.E. (2012) Association between co-twin sex and eating disorders in opposite sex twin pairs: Evaluations in North American, Norwegian, and Swedish samples. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 72, 73-77. PMID: 22200526. PMC3246617.