BS Springfield College, Springfield MA
MEd Springfield College, Springfield MA
PhD, Pharmacology University of South Florida, Tampa FL
Post-Doc University of South Florida, Tampa FL
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
Office: 7210 Marsico Hall
In 2012 I joined the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at UNC Chapel Hill after experience in drug discovery, clinical research and applied genetics in the Pharmaceutical Industry. My research interests have remained the same over my entire career, pursuing the identification of the molecular mechanisms of respiratory diseases, and the development and use of pharmacological therapy. Recently, I have focused on:
1) the genetics of asthma and COPD, including disease exacerbations, identifying new susceptibility genes and pathways leading to increased disease and exacerbation susceptibility. Identifying subphenotypes of disease, including disease exacerbations, has proven critical for genomic analysis in complex diseases.
2) the pharmacogenetics of drug therapy for respiratory diseases. Utilization of multiple measures of drug response, has been successful in characterizing genetic influences for both efficacy and adverse events.
My current interest explores epigenetics as well as traditional polymorphic genetic analysis in disease susceptibility and drug response.
1) Sreekumar G. Pillai, Ph.D., Diane Cousens, Ph.D., Ashley Barnes B.Sc., Peter T. Buckley, MS, Mathias Chiano, Ph.D., Louise Hoskings, Ph.D., Cameron, Lee-Ann, Mary Fling, Ph.D., James J. Foley, MS, Andy Green. B.Sc., Henry M. Sarau, Ph.D., Dulcie B. Schmidt, MS, Catherine Sprankle, BS, Malcolm Blumenthal, MD, John Sundy, MD, Jorgen Vestbo MD, Karen Kennedy-Wilson, MS, William Wixted, MS, Wayne Anderson, Ph.D., Michael Wagner, Ph.D., Diane M. Ignar, Ph.D. and the investigators of the GAIN Network. A Coding Polymorphism in the CysLT2 Receptor with Reduced Affinity to LTD4 is Associated with Asthma. Pharmacogenetics 14 (9): 627-633, 2004.
2) Pillai SG. Chiano MN. White NJ. Speer M. Barnes KC. Carlsen K. Gerritsen J. Helms P. Lenney W. Silverman M. Sly P. Sundy J. Tsanakas J. von Berg A. Whyte M. Varsani S. Skelding P. Hauser M. Vance J. Pericak-Vance M. Burns DK. Middleton LT. Brewster SR. Anderson WH. Riley JH. A genome-wide search for linkage to asthma phenotypes in the genetics of asthma international network families: evidence for a major susceptibility locus on chromosome 2p.[erratum appears in Eur J Hum Genet. 2007 Jun;15(6):714]. European Journal of Human Genetics. 1:307-16, 2006.
3) M Klotsman, T York, S Pillai, C Vargas-Irwin, S Sharma, E van den Oord, W Anderson. Pharmacogenetics of the 5-Lipoxygenase Biosynthetic Pathway and Variable Clinical Response to Montelukast. Pharmacogenetics and Genomics 17: 189-196, 2007.
4) Guohua Zhu, Liling Warren, Jennifer Aponte, Amund Gulsvik, Per Bakke, ICGN Investigators, Wayne H. Anderson, Edwin K. Silverman, and Sreekumar G. Pillai. Polymorphisms in SERPINE2 are Associated with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in Two Large Populations. Am J Respir Critical Med 176: 167-173, 2007
5) G Zhu, K Carlsen, K-H Carlsen, W Lenney, M Silverman, MK Whyte, L Hosking, P Helms, AD Roses, DW Hay, MR Barnes, WH Anderson, SG Pillai. Polymorphisms in the Endothelin-1 (EDN1) are Associated with Asthma in Two Populations. Genes and Immunity 9: 23-25, 2008.
6) Bipen D. Patel, Harvey O. Coxson, Sreekumar Pillai, Alvar G.N. Agusti, Peter M.A. Calverley, Claudio F. Donner, Barry J. Make, Nestor L. Muller, Stephen I. Rennard, Jorgen Vestbo, Emiel F.M. Wouters, Melanie P. Hiorns, Yasutaka Nakano, Patricia Camp, Paola V. Nasute Fauerbach, Nicholas J. Screaton, Wayne H. Anderson, Peter D. Pare, Robert D. Levy, Stephen Lake, Edwin K. Silverman, and David A. Lomas. Airway Wall Thickening and Emphysema Show Independent Familial Aggregation in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 178: 500-505, 2008.
7) SG Pillai, D Ge, G Zhu, X Kong, KV Shianna, AC Need, S Feng, CP Hersh, P Bakke, A Gulsvik, A Ruppert, KC Lodrup Carlsen, A Roses, W Anderson, SI Rennard, DA Lomas, EK Silverman, DB Goldstein. A Genome-wide Association Study in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): Identification of Two Major Susceptibility Loci. PLoS Genetics 5, e1000421 , 2009.
8) Timothy P. York, Christina Vargas-Irwin, Wayne H. Anderson, and Edwin J.C.G. van den Oord. Asthma Pharmacogenetic Study Using Finite Mixture Models to Handle Drug-response Heterogeneity. Pharmacogenomics 10 (5): 753-767, 2009.
9) Steven W Yancey, Michael Klotsman, Hector G Ortega, Lisa D Edwards, Wayne H Anderson. Acute and Chronic Lung Function Response to Salmeterol and Salmeterol Plus Fluticasone Propionate in Relation to Arg16Gly Beta2-Adrenergic Polymorphisms. Current medical Research and Opinion 25: 1011-1018, 2009.
10) Eugene R. Bleecker, MD; Harold S. Nelson, MD; Monica Kraft, MD; Jonathan Corren, MD; Deborah A. Meyers, PhD; Steven W. Yancey, MS; Wayne H. Anderson, PhD; Amanda H. Emmett, MS; Hector G. Ortega, MD, ScD. Beta2-receptor polymorphisms in patients receiving salmeterol with or without fluticasone propionate. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 181 (7): 676-87, 2010.
11) Sreekumar G Pilla, Xiangyang Kong, Lisa D Edwards , Michael Cho, Wayne H Anderson, Harvey Coxson, David A Lomas, Edwin K Silverman, ECLIPSE and ICGN Investigators. Loci Identified by Genome-wide Association Studies influence Different Disease-related Phenotypes in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182 (12): 1498-1505, 2010.
12) Xiangyang Kong, Michael H. Cho, Wayne Anderson, Harvey O. Coxson, Nestor Muller, George Washko, Eric Hoffman, Per Bakke, Amund Gulsvik, David A. Lomas, Edwin K. Silverman, Sreekumar G. Pillai, on behalf of the ECLIPSE Study, Bergen Cohort and NETT investigators. Genome-wide Association Study Identifies BICD1 as a Susceptibility Gene for Emphysema. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183 (1): 43-49, 2011.
13) Peter J Castaldi, Michael H Cho, Augusto A Litonjua, Per Bakke, Amund Gulsvik, David A Lomas, Wayne Anderson, Terri H Beaty, John E Hokanson, James D Crapo, Nan Laird, Edwin K Silverman for the COPDGene and Eclipse Investigators. The Association of Genome-Wide Significant Spirometric Loci with COPD Susceptibility. American J of Resp Cell and Mol Biol 45 (6): 1147-1153, 2011.
14) Weiliang Qiu, Vince Carey, Andrea Baccarelli, Helene Bacherman, Barbara Klanderman, Stephen Rennard, Alvar Agusti, Wayne Anderson, David Lomas, Edwin K. Silverman, Dawn L. DeMeo. Variable DNA Methylation is Associated with COPD and lung function. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 185 (4): 373-381, 2012.
15) Emily Wan MD, MPH, Weiliang Qiu PhD, Andrea Baccarelli MD, PhD, Vincent J. Carey PhD, Helene Bacherman BA, Stephen Rennard MD, Alvar Agusti MD, PhD, Wayne Anderson, PhD, David A. Lomas MD, PhD, Dawn L. DeMeo MD, MPH. Cigarette smoking behaviors and time since quitting are associated with differential DNA methylation across the human genome. Human Molecular Genetics 21 (13): 3073-3082, 2012.
16) Wayne H. Anderson, PhD, Beena T Koshy, PhD, Lingkang Huang, PhD, Michael M Mosteller, PhD, Sandra W. Stinnett, Hector Ortega, MD, ScD,. A Genetic Analysis of Subjects Experiencing Steroid-Requiring Asthma Exacerbations Across Four Clinical Trials. Submitted to JACI 9/2012.