1) What application materials do I need to submit to your program to be considered for an interview?
Our Diagnostic Radiology residency program participates in the NRMP Match, and all applicants should upload a completed Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) application (http://www.aamc.org/services/eras/) for our review.
2) What clinical experience is required to be appointed as a Diagnostic Radiology resident in your Department?
The UNC Department of Radiology Diagnostic Radiology residency program is an advanced NRMP residency. PGY2 (R1) residents must have completed their PGY1 clinical year by the time of their PGY2 start date in our Department.
3) What research experience is required to be appointed as a Diagnostic Radiology resident in your Department?
Prior research experience is not required to be appointed as a Diagnostic Radiology resident in our Department. Published research, or research experience, is one of multiple factors considered in review of residency applications.
4) Do you have any minimum requirements for board scores?
Board scores are among a number of factors considered in selecting applicants for interviews. There are no minimum score requirements. Our residency program accepts both USMLE and COMLEX scores - Steps 1 and 2, or just Step 1 -- for review.
5) Can I submit more than three recommendation letters?
There is no limit to the number of recommendation letters an individual may updoad to her/his ERAS application. However, applicants may only assign four letters per program.
6) What is the cutoff graduation date to enter as a PGY2 (R1) in your program?
There is no cutoff medical school graduation date to apply or be appointed as a Diagnostic Radiology resident. PGY2 (R1) residents must have completed their PGY1 clinical year by the time of their PGY2 start date in our Department.
7) Do you accept applications from osteopathic (DO) medical students?
Our Department has invited both MD and DO students for interviews and has trained DOs in both our residency and fellowship programs.
8) Do you accept applications from International Medical Graduates (IMGs)?
Our residency program gives consideration to medical student applications from both U.S.-based and foreign medical schools. Reputation of medical school is among a number of factors considered in selecting applicants to invite for interviews.
9) What type of visas does your program sponsor?
UNC Hospitals sponsors only J1 visas (no exceptions) for all residency and subspecialty programs, including Diagnostic Radiology.