Phone: (984) 974-8427
Fax: (984) 974-8607
Education and Degrees
B.S. (Radiologic Science): Averett University, Danville, Virginia
MPH (Health Policy and Administration): University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Ed.D. (Higher Education Administration): North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina
Registered Radiologic Technologist
Registered Radiation Therapist
Certified Medical Dosimetrist
Research and Teaching Expertise
- Radiation therapy technology
- Medical dosimetry
- Distance education
- Healthcare and higher education administration
Recent Publications (peer-reviewed)
- Adams R and J Keene. Trends in radiation therapy practice. Radiation Therapist 11: 1-2, 2002.
- Akroyd D, A Caison, and R Adams. Patterns of burnout among U.S. radiographers. Radiologic Technology 73: 215-223, 2002.
- Akroyd, D, A Caison and R Adams. Burnout in radiation therapists: The predictive value of selective stressors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 52: 816-821, 2002.
- Painter J, D Akroyd and R Adams. Burnout in the new millennium. Am J Occ Ther 2002.
- Adams R, T Pope and Tzi-I Yang. Registration and fusion imaging in radiation therapy. Radiation Therapist 13: 41-51, 2004.
- Yang Tsu-I and R Adams. The 25 most important cancer treatment trends. Radiation Therapist 13: 61-64, 2004.
- Tewell M and R Adams. The PLUNC 3-D treatment planning system: A dynamic alternative to commercially-available systems. Medical Dosimetry 29: 134-138 2004.
- Pusey D, L Smith, E Zeman and R Adams. A history and overview of the certification exam for medical dosimetrists. Medical Dosimetry 30: 92-96, 2005.
- Adams R, Tzi-I Yang and J Rosenman. Treating cancer in the world: An economic, population and market analysis of income, incidence, disparity, and modality of cancer treatment with linear accelerators. Radiation Therapist, 2005.
- Adams R. Is there a role for compassion? Radiation Therapist 15: 168-169, 2006.
- Adams R and K Rush. The economics of caring. Radiologic Technology 79: 65-67, 2007.
- Ochs LL and RD Adams. The admissions process and student success in radiation therapy education. Radiation Therapist 17: 1-4, 2008.
- Ochs LL and RD Adams. Building teams. Radiologic Technology 79: 561-566, 2008.
- Temme JB, M Daniels, KL Rush, JS Legg, K Metcalf and RD Adams. Educators' dilemma: three-fold mission. Radiologic Technology 81: 79-81, 2009.
- Adams R. Clinical practice: I bet you do not know. Radiation Therapist 18: 69-70, 2009.
- Ochs LL and RD Adams. Generational stereotyping and group communication. Radiation Therapist 18: 155-158, 2009.
Other Publications (non-peer-reviewed)
Web-Based Teaching Tools:
- Adams R. Modules on “Mathematics in Medical Dosimetry” and “Professionalism in Medical Dosimetry". Stanford University Online Dosimetry Project, Arthur L. Boyer, Ph.D., Principal Investigator, 2004.
- Adams R and Leaver D. Endocrine Functions. In Washington CM and Leaver DT (eds): Principles and Practice of Radiation Therapy: Practical Application. Mosby Publications, New York, 2001, pp. 98-120.
- Adams R and Leaver D. Central Nervous System Tumors. In Washington CM and Leaver DT (eds): Principles and Practice of Radiation Therapy: Practical Applications. Mosby Publications, New York, 2001, pp. 172-193.