Fax: (919) 966-7681
Web Site: http://www.med.unc.edu/radonc/pro/faculty-CV/bhisham-chera
Education and Degrees
M.D., Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC (2000-2004)
B.S. in Biology, Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC (1997-2000)
Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC (2004-2005)
House officer, Department of Internal Medicine
Department of Radiation Oncology
University of Florida Shands Cancer Center
Gainesville, FL (June 2005 - June 2009)
Chief Resident (July 2008- June 2009)
ABR Oral Boards, Passed (2010)
ABR Clinical Written Boards, Passed (2009)
ABR Radiobiology and Physics Written Boards, Passed (2008)
USMLE Step 3, Passed (2004)
USMLE Step 2, Passed (2003)
USMLE Step 1, Passed (2002)
Honors & Awards:
University of Florida/Shands Hospital Resident Teacher Award (2009)
Roentgen Resident/Fellow Research Award (2009)
Clinical Trials (Open to Enrollment)
- Changes in Regional Retinal Oxygen Extraction and Function After Radiation Therapy
- Accuracy of DW-MRI and DCE-MRI in detecting persistent disease in lymph nodes of patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma after definitive chemoradiotherapy
- NC TRaCS $50K Grant # 50KR41006. “Changes in Regional Retinal Oxygen Extraction and Function After Radiation Therapy.” July 2010 to October 2011
- Radiation Research Council $5K Grant. “Accuracy of DW-MRI and DCE-MRI in detecting persistent disease in lymph nodes of patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma after definitive chemoradiotherapy.” May 2010 to June 2011
Recent Publications (peer-reviewed)
- Chera BS, Amdur RA, Morris C, Kirwan J, Mendenhall WM. T1 – T2 N0 squamous cell carcinoma of the glottic larynx treated with definitive radiotherapy. IJROBP. At press.
- Chera BS, Amdur RA, Morris C, Mendenhall WM. Carotid-sparing IMRT for early-stage squamous cell carcinoma of the true vocal cord. IJROBP. At press.
- Chera BS, Vargas C, Louis D, Flampouri S, Yeung D, Olivier K, Duvvuri S, Zuofeng L, Mendenhall NP. Pelvic proton radiotherapy for high-risk prostate cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009 Nov 15;75(4):994-1002.
- Chera BS, Rodriguez C, Morris CG, Louis D, Yeung D, Zuofeng L, Mendnehall NP. Dosimetric comparison of three different involved nodal irradiation techniques for stage II Hodgkin's lymphoma patients: conventional radiotherapy, intensity-modulated radiotherapy, and three-dimensional proton radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009 Nov 15;75(4):1173-80.
- Boulmay BC, Chera BS, Morris CG, Kirwan J, Riggs CE, Lawson M, Mendenhall WM. Definitive altered fractionation radiotherapy and concomitant weekly cisplatin for locally advanced head and neck cancer. Am J Clin Oncol. At press.
- Chera BS, Malyapa R, Louis D, Mendenhall WM, Zuofeng L, Lanza D, Yeung D, Mendenhall NP. Proton therapy for maxillary sinus carcinoma. Am J Clin Oncol. 2009 Jun;32(3):296-303.
- Chera BS, Amdur RJ, Mendenhall WM. A Radiation Oncologists Guide to Contouring the Hippocampus. Am J Clin Oncol. 2009 Feb;32(1):20-2.
- Chera BS, Orlando C, Villaret D, Mendenhall WM. Follicular dendritic cell sarcoma of the head and neck: Case report and literature review. Laryngoscope. 2008 Sep;118(9):1607-12.
- Chera BS, Villaret D, Orlando C, Mendenhall WM. Clear Cell Odontogeneic Carcinoma of the Maxilla: A Case Report and Literature Review. Am J Otolaryngol. 2008 Jul-Aug;29(4):284-90.
- Chera BS, Amdur RJ, Hinerman RW, Morris CG, Villaret DB, Werning JW, and Mendenhall WM. Definitive radiation therapy for squamous cell carcinoma of the soft palate. Head & Neck. At press.
- Chera BS, Oliver K, Morris CG, Lynch JW, Mendenhall NP. Clinical presentation and outcomes of lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin’s disease at the University of Florida. Am J Clin Oncol. 2007 Dec;30(6):601-6.