The Clinic is the nation's oldest student run health clinic. Since its inception in 1967, the clinic has evolved considerably while still retaining its original mission: to serve the health needs of individuals who are unable to access the health care system. SHAC has grown from its humble beginnings in private residences of generous supporters to the Carrboro Community Health Center, one of the state's best primary care facilities.
SHAC provides the following medical services:
- Physical examinations for school, work, and camp
- Acute care for minor medical problems
- Childhood vaccinations (tetanus, measles, mumps, and rubella)
- Comprehensive laboratory services
- Men and women's health examinations and counseling
- Sexual health examinations and counseling
To make an appointment with the medical clinic, click here.
SHAC also offers services in:
The SHAC Wednesday night clinics do not provide emergency medical care, continuous care for chronic conditions, x-rays, or medical procedures. If you are experiencing an emergency call 911 or go to the UNC Hospitals Emergency Department at 101 Manning Dr, Chapel Hill, NC.SHAC volunteers can refer patients to local organizations and primary care clinics, and specialty clinics for additional and continuous care.
SHAC students comply with HIPAA regulations and patient medical records are maintained with strict confidentiality standards.