Social Medicine Faculty Teaching in the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health
- Jon Oberlander (jointly appointed in SPH) and Tom Ricketts (Cecil Sheps Center for Health Services Research) teach courses on health policy and health care reform to SPH graduate students through the Department of Health Policy & Management.
- Stuart Rennie co-teaches a doctoral seminar on the history and philosophy of epidemiology in the Department of Epidemiology.
- Ron Strauss (Dentistry, jointly appointed in Social Medicine & SPH) directs and teaches two SPH courses on AIDS that also include students from Pharmacy, Dentistry, & Medicine.
- Tim Carey (Cecil Sheps Center for Health Services Research) directs an AHRQ-funded (Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality) NRSA training program (National Research Service Award, through NIH) in health services research.
Several primary faculty members lecture periodically, and/or serve as advisors or committee members on students’ doctoral and masters thesis committees:
- Jon Oberlander, in Health Policy & Management.
- Gail Henderson, in Health Behavior and in Epidemiology.
- Giselle Corbie-Smith, in Health Behavior.
- Bill Roper, in Health Policy & Management
- Tim Carey (Cecil Sheps Center for Health Services Research), in Epidemiology, in Health Policy & Management (as well as in the School of Pharmacy).
- Tom Ricketts (Cecil Sheps Center for Health Services Research), in Health Policy & Management.
Other Departmental faculty members also contribute to Public Health teaching:
- Russ Harris, active in Epidemiology and in Public Health Leadership, directed (for years, until 2012) the Health Care & Prevention concentration, through which over 20% of UNC medical students obtain MPH degrees during a 5th year of study. He continues to teach several courses in the MD-MPH curriculum, including Prevention, Critical Appraisal, Cost-Effectiveness Analysis, & Systematic Reviews—and to mentor master’s theses.
- Leigh Callahan, in Epidemiology.