- Apply through ERAS
- Include a 2-page personal statement describing your specific interests in preventive medicine and your goals for this training.
- Also include a current curriculum vitae, including a list of honors, publications, and summary of prior work.
- Through ERAS, please include 3 letters of recommendation, including one from the program director of your clinical residency program. The other two should be from medical staff of your training institution.
- Include your state medical license information.
- Please complete the additional application form.
- Please provide an original medical school transcript.
- In addition to this form, please submit copies of: 1) your medical license; 2) your residency certificate; 3) MPH transcript if applicable.
Send the additional application form and materials to:
Deborah Porterfield, MD, MPH
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Department of Social Medicine
CB#7240, 121 MacNider Bldg.
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7240
- Apply online to the UNC Graduate School at http://gradschool.unc.edu for application to the desired department/program in the School of Public Health. You must apply separately to the SPH. Acceptance in the residency program is contingent upon being accepted into an MPH program in the School of Public Health.
The application deadline is November 1. All applications are reviewed by the residency program faculty. The strongest candidates are invited for interviews in January and February. Applicants are notified of acceptance by early March.
Eligible applicants must:
- be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or have a valid J-1 visa;
- have completed medical training in an accredited medical school;
- have completed at least one year in an ACGME-accredited clinical residency program;
- have a current certificate from the Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates, if applicable; and
- have a valid medical license in the United States.