How to determine if Weight Loss Surgery is the right choice for you
1. Attend one of our Weight Loss Information Seminars
Please join us for an information session to learn how weight-loss surgeries can help you or someone you care about. In the sessions, members of UNC Health Care's team—one of the nation's leading Bariatric groups—provide details on the options for Weight Loss Surgery and on the benefits of UNC's personalized approach.
The full schedule of seminars can be found here.
2. Attend one of our Weight Loss Support Groups
In the support groups, you'll meet other people just like you, who have chosen to have Weight Loss Surgery. Together you can share tips and support.
The full schedule of support group meetings can be found here.
3. Verify Insurance Information
You will need to call your insurance company to determine if Bariatric surgery is a covered benefit. (Note: We do not accept Medicaid). Most insurance requires 4 - 6 months of supervised diet and exercise programs with your Primary Care Provider, as well as a Letter of Support. The codes for the operative procedures are:
- : CPT 43644
- : CPT 43775
4. Complete the Application
You will need a complete assessment to see if Bariatric surgery is right for you including:
- An application reviewing your BMI, your weight-loss history, and any obesity-related health conditions.
- Submit the Bariatric Application Form.
5. Attend a Multi-Disciplinary Clinic Visit
The Clinical Program Director, Lisa Prestia RN, will review your application and contact you to set up your clinic visit. This pre-surgical evaluation is an all-inclusive appointment:
- You will meet with a dietitian, psychologist, and nurse practitioner at the Highgate Specialty Clinic.
- After this visit, the compiled information will be submitted to your insurance for final approval.
- Once approved, an appointment with the Bariatric surgeon will be scheduled.
6. Personalized Treatment
Together, we will take steps to determine:
- If surgery is the right treatment for you.
- The type of procedure that is right for you.
- If you are mentally and emotionally prepared to make lifelong lifestyle changes.
- That you have, or will have, the necessary support system around you as you get back to life after your weight-loss surgery.
|Benefits of Weight Loss Surgery||Candidates for Weight Loss Surgery||Procedures Offered at UNC||Taking The First Steps||What To Expect||Seminars & Support Groups|