The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has been a regional and national leader in liver cancer care. The GI oncology program at UNC Hospitals is one of the oldest and largest referral centers in the state.
Our multidisciplinary program includes clinicians from medical oncology, surgery, hepatology, radiology, and radiation oncology. This diverse and committed group of healthcare providers has been instrumental in providing personalized, state-of-the-art care to our patients.
Members of the Liver Cancer Program include:
• Bert O’Neil, MD, Oncologist
• David Gerber, MD, Transplant Surgeon
• Tomasz Kozlowski, MD, Transplant Surgeon
• Alex Toledo, MD, Transplant Surgeon
• Skip Hayashi, MD, MPH Medical Director, Liver Transplant Program, Hepatologist
• Michael Fried, M.D., Director of Clinical Hepatology
• Sidney Barritt, MD, MPH Transplant Hepatologist
• Jama Darling, MD, Transplant Hepatologist
• Steven Zacks, MD, MPH Transplant Hepatologist
• Charles Burke, MD, Radiologist
• Bob Dixon, MD, Radiologist
• Matt Mauro, MD, Radiologist
• Richard Semelka, MD, Radiologist
• Joe Stavas, MD, Radiologist
• Joel Tepper, MD, Radiation Oncologist
All UNC patients have access to extensive support services including nutritional, pharmaceutical, and financial services. Local accommodations for our patients and their families have been a focus for our programs. These accommodations include hotels and SECU Family House of UNC Hospital. For information about insurance coverage, please click here.