Division of Surgical Oncology, CB #7213
For appointments please call 919-966-9700
If you have questions for Dr. Kim you may email him at Lawrence_Kim@med.unc.edu
Professor of Surgery
Surgery of the endocrine glands: thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal
More information can be found on our Endocrine Surgery page.
Various topics in basic and clinical research
Residency: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 1994
MD: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 1987
General Surgery - Board Certified, 1995, Recertified 2005
Dr. Kim grew up in West Texas and received his medical degree from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in 1987. After beginning his general surgery training at Cook County Hospital and the University of Illinois in Chicago, Dr. Kim returned to Southwestern in 1989 for a two year research fellowship in basic laboratory research. He completed his general surgery training at the U.T. Southwestern Medical Center and Parkland Hospital in 1994. He spent two years additional years in basic science research at the National Institutes of Health before returning to U.T. Southwestern to join the faculty in 1996. He moved to Arkansas in 2002 to become Chief of Surgery at the VA Hospital. He also served as Professor in the Departments of Surgery and Medicine and Director of Endocrine Surgery at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. He moved to the University of North Carolina in 2013 to expand the program in Endocrine Surgery. He has extensive experience in basic science and clinical research, as well as administration.
Dr. Kim is a recognized expert in surgical diseases of the endocrine glands. He has written on a variety of topics related to these conditions (see below) and has served as Program Chair of the annual meeting of the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons. He has been an invited speaker at national and international organizations including the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and the International Association of Endocrine Surgeons. He is particularly recognized in the use of office-based ultrasound for endocrine diseases and teaches ultrasound at national and international courses. In particular he has been part of the American College of Surgeons Head and Neck Ultrasound course for over 10 years.
- Carling T, S.E. Carty, M.M. Ciarleglio, D.S. Cooper, G.M. Doherty, L. T. Kim, R.T. Kloos, E.L. Mazzaferri Sr, P.N. Peduzzi, S.A. Roman, R.S. Sippel, J.A. Sosa, B.C. Stack Jr, D.L. Steward, R.P. Tufano, R.M. Tuttle, R. Udelsman, American Thyroid Association Surgical Affairs Committee. American Thyroid Association design and feasibility of a prospective randomized controlled trial of prophylactic central lymph node dissection for papillary thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid. 2012 Mar;22(3):237-44.
- Acott, A, S. Theus, L.T. Kim. Long-term glucose control and risk of peri-operative complications. Am. J. Surg. 198: 596-599, 2009.
- Govindarajan, R., L. Ratnasinghe, D. Simmons, E. Siegel, M. Midathada, L.T. Kim, P. Kim, R. Owens, N. Lang. Thiazolidinediones and the risk of lung, prostate, and colon cancer in patients with diabetes. J Clin Oncol. 25(12):1461-2, 2007.
- Akbar, N., D. Bodenner, L.T. Kim, J.Y. Suen, M.S. Kokoska. Considerations in Incorporating Office Based Ultrasound of the Head and Neck. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 135(6):884-8,2006.
- Panta, G., L. Du, F. Nwariaku, L.T. Kim. Direct Phosphorylation of Proliferative and Survival Pathway Proteins By RET. Surgery. 138(2):269-74, 2005.
- Panta, G., F. Nwariaku, L.T. Kim. RET Signals through Focal Adhesion Kinase in Medullary Thyroid Cancer Cells. Surgery. 136(6):1212-7, 2004.
- Van Husen, R., L.T. Kim. Accuracy of Surgeon-Performed Ultrasound in Parathyroid Localization. World J. Surgery. 28(11):1122-6, 2004.
- Liu, Z., J. Falola, X. Zhu, L.T. Kim, G.A. Sarosi, T. Anthony, F. Nwariaku. Anti-Proliferative Effects of Src Inhibition on Medullary Thyroid Cancer. J. Clin. Endo. Met. 89(7):3503-9, 2004.
- Kim, L.T., J.B.Fleming, C. Lopez-Guzman, F. Nwariaku. Focal Adhesions and Associated Proteins in Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma Cells. J. Surg. Res. 111:177-184, 2003.
- Holloway, S., G. Sarosi, L. Kim, F. Nwariaku, G. O’Keefe, L. Hynan, C. Jones, T. Anthony. Health-Related Quality of Life and Postoperative Length of Stay for Patients with Colorectal Cancer. J. Surg. Res. 108: 273-278, 2002.
- Nwariaku, F.E., J. Champine, L. T. Kim, S. Burkey, G. O’Keefe, and W. H. Snyder III. Radiologic Characterization Of Adrenal Masses: The Role Of CT-Derived Attenuation Values. Surgery 130:1068-71, 2001.
- Gordon, L.L., W.H. Snyder III, F. Wians, Jr., F. Nwariaku, L.T. Kim. The validity of quick intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay: An evaluation in 72 patients based on gross morphologic criteria. Surgery 126:1030-5, 1999.
BOOK CHAPTERS AND INVITED REVIEWS
- Kim, L.T. Parathyroid Surgery. In: Surgical Pitfalls: Prevention and Management. Evans, S.R.T. ed. Saunders Elsevier. Philadelphia. 2009.
- Kim, L.T., and T. Anthony. Gastrointestinal carcinoid. In: Sleisinger and Fordtran’s Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 8th ed. Feldman, M., L.S. Friedman, M.H. Sleisinger eds. Saunders, Philadelphia. 2006.
- Snyder, W, Kim, L.T. Carcinoma of the Thyroid. Selected Readings in General Surgery. R.N. McClelland ed. 29(3), 2002.
- Snyder, W. Kim, L.T. Benign Conditions of the Thyroid. Selected Readings in General Surgery. R.N. McClelland ed. 29(2), 2002.
- Kim, L.T., and T. Anthony. Gastrointestinal carcinoid. In: Sleisinger and Fordtran’s Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 7th ed. Feldman, M., L.S. Friedman, M.H. Sleisinger eds. Saunders, Philadelphia 2002.
- Kim, L.T. Hyperparathyroidism. In: eMedicine: Medicine, Ob/gyn, Psychiatry, and Surgery: An on-line medical reference. B.A. Cunha, J. Geibel, H.J.L. Marriott, L.P. Shulman, S. Soreff, M.E. Zevitz. eds. http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3200.htm (updated annually).
- Kim, L.T. Parathyroid Cancer. In: eMedicine: Medicine, Ob/gyn, Psychiatry, and Surgery: An on-line medical reference. B.A. Cunha, J. Geibel, H.J.L. Marriott, L.P. Shulman, S. Soreff, M.E. Zevitz. eds. http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1754.htm (updated annually).
- Snyder, W., L.T. Kim, F. Nwariaku. The Adrenal Gland. Selected Readings in General Surgery. R.N. McClelland ed. v.26, n. 8 1999.