For the last 30 years, the UNC Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology and the UNC Thurston Arthritis Research Center have been dedicated to our mission:
to investigate the causes, consequences and treatments of arthritis and autoimmune diseases, and to reduce their impact on patients, their families and society.
Incorporating clinical service, research and teaching into all aspects of our approach to health care, our physicians have a broad range of knowledge and skills that they use every day to treat patients in the clinic.
Our patients benefit from research programs ranging from the basics of inflammation and autoimmune disorders to the genetics and epidemiology of osteoarthritis and disability in the community.
- Our physicians are actively involved in clinical trials for osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and other diseases.
- Importantly, we also conduct clinical trials of nonpharmacologic, self-management interventions for arthritis, such as tai chi and physical activity in communities throughout the state.
- Participation in clinical trials affords our patients the ability to access new, cutting-edge treatments and interventions.
Our two active sub-specialty training programs, in rheumatology and in allergy and immunology, provide the next generation of specialists access to some of the finest training facilities available in a world-class university with physicians in multiple, related areas of medicine. Our new state-of-the-art clinic has an onsite infusion suite along with facilities for phlebotomy, radiology, bone densitometry and other patient services.
Under the direction of Dr. Joanne Jordan, our clinics are organized by sub-specialty centers. These sub-specialty centers are staffed by physicians with significant expertise in many areas of rheumatologic and immunologic disorders including
• rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory arthritis
• osteoarthritis and metabolic arthropathies
• rare rheumatological diseases
• immunomodulation and immune compromise
• systemic lupus erythematosus
• antiphospholipid syndrome
• crystalline arthropathies
All of our sub-specialty centers include active collaboration of physicians in multiple and diverse areas of medicine, providing our patients with a complete spectrum of high quality care. Lastly, we have a comprehensive Rheumatology Clinic for our Spanish-speaking patients in which all individuals, from the front desk staff to the physicians, social workers, and financial counselors, speak Spanish as their native language.