Ultrasound Services Available | Basic ultrasound interpretations and reports within 24 hours during work days.
Flexible options that can include interpretation of all scans, monthly interpretation of a select number of scans for quality assurance or “over-reads” for complex scans only.
Education and training for local sonographer from UNC MFM on-site at N.C. Women’s Hospital. Active feedback on quality of scans to local sonographer for ongoing development.
Women with diabetes in pregnancy are complex to manage and may require frequent adjustments to their medication, nutrition and exercise plans. In particular, medication management is very well suited to telemedicine teaching and follow up. Our prenatal diabetes services include consultations for:
Type I or type II diabetes | Preconception consultations will include the maternal/fetal risks of diabetes, review of future management during pregnancy and how to optimize control prior to pregnancy to improve outcomes.
Type I, type II and Gestational Diabetes | Prenatal consultations may include nutritional counseling, meter instruction, medication/insulin instruction*, maternal/fetal risks of diabetes and recommendations for management consultation.
Diabetes Consult Options:
- Primary Local Management of Diabetes:
- Initial telemedicine consultation by UNC MFM. UNC MFM is happy to see patient again in the future as needed per the discretion of her primary OB-GYN.
Co-management of Diabetes:
- Initial telemedicine consultation by UNC MFM, followed by routine telemedicine follow up visits with UNC MFM to assist the primary OB-GYN in the co-management of the diabetes diagnosis. We will also correspond with the patient by email or phone regularly to review BG values.
Complete Management of Diabetes:
- Initial telemedicine consultation by UNC MFM, followed by routine telemedicine follow up visits with UNC MFM for complete management of the diabetes diagnosis. We will also correspond with the patient by email or phone regularly to review BG values.
- The above three choices also include an option to have an initial face-to-face consultation by UNC MFM that would allow the patient to receive her counseling and education in person. With this option, UNC MFM can prescribe future medication recommendations and adjustments via telemedicine.
Any diabetic prenatal patient may also be referred to UNC for complete obstetrical management and delivery at the discretion and request of the primary OB-GYN.
*Preconception and prenatal consultation for maternal medical conditions such as:
- hypertension diabetes
- autoimmune disorders maternal cardiac disease
*Preconception and prenatal consultation for pregnancy complications such as:
- preterm labor
- cervical insufficiency
- previous IUFD
- fetal growth restriction
- fetal anomalies
- maternal antibodies
*Preconception and prenatal genetic counseling for personal/family history of genetic disorders, AMA, prenatal testing (free fetal DNA, first trimester screen/nuchal translucency, Quad screen).
*Preconception and prenatal consultation with our Psychiatric Mental Health nurse practitioner for perinatal mood disorders
*Due to North Carolina Stated Medical Board regulations, we are unable to prescribe medication/insulin via telemedicine if the patient has never undergone a face-to-face consultation with UNC MFM, but we may give recommendations for medication/insulin doses to the primary OB-GYN for prescribing or we could do so after an initial face-to-face consultation.