About Urogynecology

What Kind of Training Does a Urogynecologist Have?

Urogynecologists have completed medical school and a four-year residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology. These doctors become specialists with additional training and experience in the evaluation and treatment of conditions that affect the female pelvic organs, and the muscles and connective tissue that support the organs. The additional training focuses on the surgical and non-surgical treatment of non-cancerous gynecologic problems.

When Should I See a Urogynecologist?

Although your primary care physician or OB-GYN may have knowledge about these problems, a Urogynecologist can offer additional expertise. You should see or be referred to a Urogynecologist when you have problems of prolapse, and/or troublesome incontinence or when your primary doctor recommends consultation.

Other problems for which you or your doctor might think about consulting a Urogynecologist include: problems with emptying the bladder or rectum, and the need for special expertise in vaginal surgery.