Upload a File to Any Folder
- Navigate to the folder in which you want the file to reside.
For organization sake we suggest you place your files in the default 'files' folder that is already provided for you at the root of your site. To find the files folder, go to your home page, click on the green contents button (you must be logged in to see this) and in the page listing you should see the files folder. Click on the link to open the folder.
- On the green menu bar, click add new..., and then select file from the drop-down menu. (You must be logged in to see the add item menu). Each site will have a "Files" folder at the root of the site. We recommend, for organization sake, that all documents be placed in this folder.
- You will see a blank Add File form.
- In the Title field, enter a title for the document. We recommend including the file type in parentheses as part of your title, so that users will know what type of document they are downloading.
- If desired, enter a short description of the file in the Description box. Entering a description is optional, but encouraged. The description appears in search results, in content summary lists, and in hovering text boxes that appear when a user rests the mouse pointer over a title link.
- In the File section of the form, click Browse. A File Upload window will appear.
- In the file upload window, navigate to the file on your local computer that you want to upload, select it and click open.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Edit File panel and click save.
- If you want your file to be available to all users, click the private status indicator and then select publish from the drop-down menu.
Tip: New files are displayed in the navigation when they are published. If you want to prevent a file from appearing in the navigation, you must manually exclude it (see related content).
Upload a File from a Page You're Editing
With our new page editor (TinyMCE), you can now upload a file directly from the page you're working on. To do so:
- Navigate to the page in which you want to link to a file.
- Click on the edit tab in the green menu bar (you need to be logged in to see this).
- In the Body Text, highlight the text you'd like to link to a file and click the Insert/edit link button ().
- In the dialogue box that pops up, browse within the Link list (middle panel, or; use the shortcuts in the left panel) to the location on your site where you'd like to upload the file (usually Files, within the Home folder).
- Click Upload File.
- Browse to the file on your computer & click Open.
- Give the file a title and description (optional), then click upload.
- Select the newly-uploaded file from the bottom of the Link list, & click insert at the bottom of the dialogue box.
- Once you're done editing, save your page, and visit the 'Files' folder (or wherever you've placed your file) and publish it.
Note: When you save the page, users who aren't logged in will be able to download the file through the link you created, as long as the file itself exists in the published state. If you do not publish your file, most users will not be able to access it. Be sure to change each file you upload from private to published.