- Navigate to the location in the site where you want the new folder to be located.
- On the green menu bar, click Add new... button and then select Folder from the drop-down menu (you must be logged in to see the add item menu):
- You will see a blank Add Folder screen.
- In the Title field, enter a title for your new folder.
- If desired, enter a short Description of the information the folder will contain. Entering a description is optional, but encouraged. The description appears in search results, in the summary content lists, and in hovering text boxes that appear when a user rests the mouse pointer over a link to this folder. When a site visitor searches your site, the results will display the Title first, then the Description. So descriptions are helpful for your site visitors to find content they are looking for.
- Click Save. The main content area automatically switches to the view tab so you can view your folder.
- To publish your folder, click the red Private button on the green menu bar and then select Publish from the drop-down menu. Your new folder is now visible in the navigation and is accessible to all site visitors.
Tip: New folders are displayed in the navigation when they are published. If you want to prevent a folder from appearing in the navigation, see Excluding Items from the Navigation.
Change the Display of a Folder
As containers of other items, folders can display their contents in a variety of ways. You can even select an item within the folder to be the default view or title page of the folder. For detailed information see Folder Display Options.