All sites come with a built-in News folder. We recommend placing all news items in this folder. By default the News folder contains a News collection that is set as the default view of the folder. The collection will display all published News items located anywhere within the site. The collection will display the news items, sorted by effective/publishing date, beginning with the most current item.
Adding a News Item
It is recommended that all News should be added to the News folder, located at the root of your site.
- go to your sites Home page
- click on the green Contents tab
- click on the News folder
To add a news item, use the add new... menu and choose news item. This will bring you to the Add News Item page.
The information for your News item should be placed in the Summary and Body Text fields. The Summary field is plain text, while you can use the editor to format the Body Text content. Summary content is important for News items as it is shown, along with the title and lead image, in the 'summary view' display option of the news collection as well as in content well collection portlets (see Examples below).
Adding Images and Video
- The Image and Image Caption fields allow you to attach up to two images to your news item.
- The Video Link allows you to easily attach a YouTube video to the news item.
- To add a YouTube video, copy and paste the id into the Video Link box. The id is the last part of the URL, after the ?v=. In the following URL - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upo668bS1nc, the Upo668bS1nc is the part you want to copy and paste into the Video Link box.
- If the News item has an attached video, it will be used as a "lead image" for the news item. Lead images appear with the News Item. They also appear beside the item when viewing the News collection (but only when the folder is set to 'summary view,' in the 'display' menu). If a video isn't present, the first Image that is attached to the News item will be used as the lead image.
- The system will resize the lead image to the appropriate size.
Featuring Select News Items on a Landing Page
If you want to feature a selection of news items on a landing page within your site, you can use the On Landing Page option.
- Create a collection that searches for items that have the onLandingPage option selected.
- Selecting this option in the search terms section of a collection will look for items that have the On Landing Page option selected.
Adding a Change Note
Entering a brief but descriptive note about the changes you make each time you edit an item will make tracking and undoing changes much easier. You can read more about this on the History and Version Control page.
Once entered into the system (and published), News Items are visible in the News portlet, and can be queried into Collections to be listed anywhere on a site.