The red box in the above image highlights the Templated Slider With News Items.
This slider will automatically pull the 3 most recently published News items from your site and display them. The number of News items can be adjusted on a per-site basis.
Note that this slider looks the same as the Templated Slider With Custom Slides. The difference between the two is what type of content is pulled into the slider.
- The Templated Slider with News Items pulls published News. This is a great way to highlight the News on your site. It displays the the most recently published News Items.
- The Templated Slider with Custom Slides allows you to highlight anything, including information that isn't news related. For example, you could highlight your mission statement. You could also highlight how your department is following the Leading, Teach, Caring theme by displaying a slide for each topic. You can customize the order in which the slides are displayed.
Add a Templated Slider to Your Site
Setting up a Templated Slider requires some customization. As such, the OIS web team will need to create the landing page that displays the slider. Please fill out the form to request this slider be added to your site.
The Templated Slider sits on top of a Landing Page Graphic. As such, you will need to request a landing page graphic with the templated slider. Landing page graphics that are being used as a background image for a slider should be simple and not distracting. An image that is too busy will make the text in the sliders illegible. In general, avoid using photos of people and do not add text to the landing page graphic.
Adding Content To The Templated Slider/Landing Page
This is the landing page that displays the slider (not the individual slide pages). Any content that you wish to display on this page needs to be placed in a portlet. Content added to the Body Text area of the page (when editing it), will not display.
How To Publish the Slider/Landing Page
You will notice that the Private/Publish button is missing from the green bar. To publish the page, simply follow these steps:
- Navigate to the folder containing the Templated Slider page.
- Click on the Contents tab in the green bar.
- Find the name of the Templated Slider page that you wish to publish and click the little box to the left of the name. You should now see a checkmark in the box.
- Scroll to the end of the directory listing.
- Click on the Change State button.
- Scroll down to the Change State portion of the page and select the Publish radio button.
- Click on the Save button.