Vice-Chair of Academic Affairs
Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Geriatric Medicine
Co-Director, Division of Geriatric Emergency Medicine
1. Platts – Mills TF, Richmond NL, LeFebvre EM, Mangipudi SA, Hollowell AG, Travers D, Biese K, Hansen LC, Volandes AE. Availability of Advance Care Planning Documentation for Older Emergency Department Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study. J Palliat Med, 2016 epub ahead of print.
2. Hogan T, Richmond N, Carpenter C, Biese K, Hwang U, Shah M, Escobedo M, Beran A, Broder J, Platts – Mills T. Shared Decision Making to Improve the Emergency Care of Older Adults: A Research Agenda. Academic Emergency Medicine, 2016; epub ahead of print.
3. Lo A, Flood K, Biese K, Platts – Mills T, Donnelly J, Carpenter C. Factors Associated with Hospital Admission for Older Adults Receiving Care in the United States Emergency Departments. The Journals of Gerontology Series B, 2016; E pub ahead of print.
4. Biese K, LaMantia M, Shofer F, McCall B, Roberts E, Kizer J, Cairns CB, Busby – Whitehead J. A randomized trial exploring the impact of a phone call follow-up on care plan compliance among older adults discharged home from the emergency department. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2014; 21: 188-195.
5. LaMantia M, Stewart P, Platts-Mills T, Biese K, Forbach C, Zamora Z, McCall B, Shofer F, Cairns C, Busby-Whitehead J, Kizer JS. Predictive Value of Initial Triage Vital Signs for Critically Ill Older Adults. Western Journal Emergency Medicine. 2013; 14(5): 453-460.
6. Biese K, Forbach C, Medlin R, Platts-Mills T, Scholer M, McCall B, Shofer F, LaMantia M, Hobgood C, Kizer J S, Busby-Whitehead J, Cairns C. The Utility of a Practical Computer-Facilitated Medical Record Review in Identifying Selected Low Frequency Emergency Department Interventions in Older Adults. Academic Emergency Medicine 2013; 20(6): 621-628.
7. Zamora Z, McCall B, Patel L, Platts-Mills T, Biese K, Kizer JS, Busby-Whitehead J. Implementation of a Web Based System to Improve the Transitional Care of Older Adults. Journal of Nursing Care Quality 2011; 27(2): 182-189.
8. Biese K, Roberts E, LaMantia M, Zamora Z, Shofer F, Snyder G, Patel A, Hollar D, Kizer JS, Busby-Whitehead J. Effect of a geriatric curriculum on emergency medicine resident attitudes, knowledge, and decision making. Academic Emergency Medicine 2011; 18: S92-96.
9. Tintinalli J, Shofer F, Biese K, Phipps J, Rabinovich S. Towards a New Paradigm: Goal-based residency training. Academic Emergency Medicine 2011; 18: S71-78.
10. Platts-Mills TF, Biese K, LaMantia M, Zamora Z, Patel LN, McCall B, Egbulefu F, Busby-Whitehead J, Cairns CB, Kizer JS. Nursing home revenue source and information availability during the emergency department evaluation of nursing home residents. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2011 Feb 10
11. Biese K, Leacock B, Osmond C, Hobgood C. Engaging Senior Residents as Leaders: A Novel Approach for Multiple Chief Roles. Journal Graduate Medical Education 2011; 3(2): 236-238.
12. LaMantia M, Platts-Mills T, Biese K, Khandelwal C, Forbach C, Cairns C, Busby Whitehead J, Kizer J. Predicting Hospital Admissions and Returns to the Emergency Department for Elderly Patients. Academic Emergency Medicine 2010; 17: 252-259.
13. Platts-Mills T, Travers D, Biese K, LaMantia M, McCall B, Kizer J, Busby Whitehead J, Cairns C. Accuracy of the Emergency Severity Index Triage Instrument for Identifying Elderly Emergency Department Patients Receiving an Immediate Life-Saving Intervention. Academic Emergency Medicine 2010; 17: 238-243.
14. Biese K, Moro-Sutherland D, Furberg R, Downing B, Glickman L, Murphy A, Snyder G, Hobgood C. Utilizing Screen-Based Simulation to Improve Performance during Pediatric Resuscitation. Academic Emergency Medicine 2009; 16: S71-75.
15. Kuykendal A, Tintinalli J, Biese K. Chief complaint categories for medical student education. International Journal of Emergency Medicine 2008; 1(2): 139-143.