Assistant Professor, Emergency Medicine and Geriatric Medicine
Co-Director, Division of Geriatric Emergency Medicine Department of Emergency Medicine Department of Anesthesiology Division of Geriatric Medicine
Specialty Areas: Improve the quality of emergency care for older adults through research, research mentorship, and support of the larger community of geriatric emergency medicine researchers. Improving patient education, and physician decision making regarding pharmacologic agents for the outpatient treatment of acute musculoskeletal pain in older adults.
Geriatrics Specialty Clinic Provider: No
UNC Hospitals Provider: Yes Emergency Department, Geriatric Emergency Department
Dr. Platts-Mill’s research focuses on Post-Traumatic Pain and Functional Outcomes in Older Adults.
1. Evans CS, Hunold KM, Rosen T, Platts-Mills TF. Diagnosis of elder abuse in U.S. emergency departments. Journal of the American Geriatric Society. 2017 Jan;65(1):91-97.
2. Platts-Mills TF, Nebolisa BC, Flannigan SF, Richmond NL, Domeier RM, Swor RA, Hendry PL, Peak DA, Rathlev NK, Jones JS, Lee DC, Jones CW, McLean SA. Posttraumatic stress disorder among older adults experiencing motor vehicle collision: a multicenter prospective cohort study. Journal of American Geriatric Psychiatry. 2017 Apr 4 (Epub ahead of print).
3. Burks, CE, Jones CW, Braz VA, Swor RA, Richmond NL, Hwang KS, Hollowell AG, Weaver MA, Platts-Mills TF. Risk factors for malnutrition among older adults in the emergency department: a multicenter study. Journal of the American Geriatric Society. 2017 Mar 21 (Epub ahead of print).
4. Platts-Mills TF, Richmond NL, LeFebvre EM, Mangipudi SA, Hollowell AG, Travers D, Biese K, Hanson LC, Volandes AE. Availability of advance care planning documentation for older emergency department patients: a cross sectional study. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2017 Jan;20(1):74
5. George NR, Kryworuchko J, Hunold KM, Ouchi K, Berman A, Wright R, Grudzen CR, Kovalerchik O, LeFebvre EM, Lindor RA, Quest TE, Schmidt TA, Sussman T, Vandenbroucke A, Volandes AE, Platts-Mills TF. Shared decision making to support the provision of palliative and end-of-life care in the emergency department: a consensus statement and research agenda. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2016 Dec;23(12):1394-1402.
6. Platts-Mills TF, Evans CS, Brice JH. Prehospital triage of injured older adults: thinking slow inside the golden hour. Journal of the American Geriatric Society. 2016 Oct;64(10):1941-3.
7. Lo AX, Flood KF, Biese K, Platts-Mills TF, Donnelly JP, Carpenter CR. Factors associated with hospital admission for older adults receiving care in united states emergency departments. Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences. 2016 Oct 21 (Epub ahead of print)
8. Platts-Mills TF, Nicholson RJ, Richmond NL, Patel KV, Simonsick EM, Domeier RM, Swor RA, Hendry PL, Peak DA, Rathlev NK, Jones JS. Restricted activity and persistent pain following motor vehicle collision among older adults: a multicenter prospective cohort study. BMC Geriatrics. 2016 Apr 19;16(1):1.
9. Rosen T, Hargarten S, Flomenbaum NE, Platts-Mills TF. Identifying elder abuse in the emergency department: toward a multidisciplinary team-based approach. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2016 Mar 18.
10. Hunold KM, Pereira GF, Jones CW, Isaacs CG, Braz VA, Gadi SR, Platts‐Mills TF. Priorities of care among older adults in the emergency department: a cross‐sectional study. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2016 Mar 1;23(3):362-5.
11. Holland CW, Hunold KM, Mangipudi SA, Rittenberg AM, Yosipovitch N, Platts-Mills TF. A prospective evaluation of shared-decision making regarding analgesic selection for older emergency department patients with acute musculoskeletal pain. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2016;23:306-14.
12. Hunold KM, Smith SA, Platts-Mills TF. Constipation prophylaxis is rare for older adults prescribed outpatient opioid therapy from U.S. emergency departments. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2015;22:1118-21.
13. Jones CW, Keil LG, Holland WC, Caughey MC, Platts-Mills TF. Comparison of registered and published outcomes in randomized controlled trials: a systematic review. BMC Medicine. 2015 Nov 18;13(1):1.
14. Pereira GF, Bulik CM, Weaver MA, Holland WC, Platts-Mills TF. Malnutrition among cognitively intact, noncritically ill older adults in the emergency department. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2015;65:85-91.
15. Roedersheimer KM, Pereira GF, Jones CW, Braz VA, Mangipudi SA, Platts-Mills TF. Self-reported vs. performance-based assessments of a simple mobility task among older adults in the emergency department. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2016 Feb 29;67(2):151-6.
16. Platts-Mills TF, Flannigan SA, Bortsov AV, Smith S, Domeier RM, Swor RA, Hendry PL, Peak DA, Rathlev NK, Jones JS, Lee DC, Keefe FJ, Sloane PD, McLean SA. Persistent pain among older adults discharged home from the emergency department after motor vehicle crash: a prospective study. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2016 Feb 29;67(2):166-76.
17. Richmond NL, Flannigan SA, Keil LG, Betz ME, Platts-Mills TF. Cessation of driving is rare in older drivers seen in the emergency department after a motor vehicle collision: a prospective cohort study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2015;63:183-5.
18. Carpenter CR, Shelton E, Fowler S, Suffoletto B, Platts-Mills TF, Rothman RE, Hogan TM. Risk factors and screening instruments to predict adverse outcomes for undifferentiated older emergency department patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2015;22:1-21.
19. Pereira GF, McLean SA, Tkacik TJ, Swor RA, Jones JS, Lee DC, Peak DA, Domeier RM, Rathlev NK, Hendry PL, Platts-Mills TF. Pain, distress, and anticipated recovery for older versus younger emergency department patients after motor vehicle collision. BMC Emergency Medicine. 2014; 14:25-33.
20. Keil LG, Platts-Mills TF, Jones CW. Systematic reviews published in emergency medicine journals do not routinely search clinical trials registries: a cross-sectional analysis. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2015 Oct 31;66(4):424-7.
21. Musey PI Jr, Linnstaedt SD, Platts-Mills TF, Miner JR, Bortsov AV, Safdar B, Bijur P, Rosenau A, Tsze DS, Chang AK, Dorai S, Engel KG, Feldman JA, Fusaro AM, Lee DC, Rosenberg M, Keefe FJ, Peak DA, Nam CS, Patel RG, Fillingham RB, McLean SA. Gender differences in acute and chronic pain in the emergency department: results of the 2014 Academic Emergency Medicine consensus conference pain section. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2014;12:1421-30.
22. Jones CW, Keil LG, Weaver MA, Platts-Mills TF. Clinical trials registries are under-utilized in the conduct of systematic reviews: a cross-sectional analysis. Systematic Reviews. 2014; 3:126.
23. Hunold KM, Sochor MR, McLean SA, Mosteller KB, Fernandez AR, Platts-Mills TF. Ambulance transport rates after motor vehicle collision for older vs. younger adults: a population-based study. Accident Analysis and Prevention. 2014; 73:373-379.
24. Hunold KM, Richmond NL, Waller AE, Cutchin MP, Voss PR, Platts-Mills TF. Primary care availability and emergency department use by older adults: a population-based analysis. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2014;62:1699-706.
25. Bortsov AV, Platts-Mills TF, Peak DA, Jones JS, Swor RA, Domeier RM, Lee DC, Rathlev NK, Hendry PL, Fillingim RB, McLean SA. Effect of pain location and duration on life function during the year following motor vehicle collision. Pain. 2014;155:1836-45.
26. Carpenter CR, Bromley M, Caterino JM, Chun A, Gerson LW, Greenspan J, Hwang U, John DP, Lyons WL, Platts-Mills TF, Mortensen B, Ragsdale L, Rosenberg M, Wilber S. Optimal older adult emergency care: introducing multidisciplinary geriatric emergency department guidelines from the American College of Emergency Physicians, American Geriatrics Society, Emergency Nurses Association, and Society for Academic Emergency Medicine. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2014; 63:e1-3.
27. GC, Platts-Mills TF, Liberzon I, Bair E, Swor R, Peak D, Jones J, Rathlev N, Lee D, Domeier R, Hendry P, and McClean SA. (2014). Incidence and predictors of acute psychological distress and dissociation after motor vehicle collision: a cross-sectional study. Journal of Trauma & Dissociation. 2014;15”527-47.
28. Stevens TB, Richmond NL, Pereira GF, Shenvi CL, Platts-Mills TF. Prevalence of non-medical problems among older adults presenting to the emergency department. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2014; 21:651-658.
29. LaMantia MA, Stewart PW, Platts-Mills TF, Biese KJ, Forbach C, Zamora E, McCall BK, Shofer FS, Cairns CB, Busby-Whitehead J, Kizer JS. Predictive value of initial triage vital signs for critically ill older adults. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2013; 14:453-60.
30. Biese KJ, Forbach CR, Medlin RP, Platts-Mills TF, Scholer MJ, McCall B, Shofer FS, LaMantia M, Hobgood C, Kizer JS, Busby-Whitehead J, Cairns CB. Computer-facilitated review of electronic medical records reliably identifies emergency department interventions in older adults. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2013; 20:621-8.
32. Platts-Mills TF, Hunold KM, Weaver MA, Dickey RM, Fernandez AR, Fillingim RB, Cairns CB, McLean SA. Pain treatment for older adults during prehospital emergency care variations by patients gender and pain severity. Journal of Pain. 2013; 14:966-74.
33. Hunold KM, Esserman DA, Isaacs CG, Dickey RM, Pereira GF, Fillingim RB, Sloane PD, McLean SA, Platts-Mills TF. Side effects from oral opioids in older adults during the first week of treatment for acute musculoskeletal pain. Academic Emergency Medicine 2013; 20:872-9.
34. Kistler CE, Sloane PD, Platts-Mills TF, Beeber AS, Khandelwal C, Weber DJ, Mitchell CM, Reed D, Chisholm L, and Zimmerman S. Challenges of antibiotic prescribing for assisted living residents: perspectives of providers, staff, residents, and family members. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2013; 61:565-70.
35. Isaacs CG, Kistler C, Hunold KM, Periera GF, Buchbinder M, Weaver MA, McLean SA, Platts-Mills TF. Shared decision making in the selection of outpatient analgesics for older emergency department patients. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2013; 61:793-8.
36. Bortsov AV, Platts-Mills TF, Peak DA, Jones JS, Swor RA, Domeier RM, Lee DC, Rathlev NK, Hendry PL, Fillingim RB, McLean SA. Pain distribution and predictors of widespread pain in the immediate aftermath of motor vehicle collision. European Journal of Pain. 2013:17; 1243-51.
37. Platts-Mills TF, Hunold KM, Esserman DA, Sloane PD, McLean SA. Motor vehicle collision-related emergency department visits by older adults in the United States. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2012; 19:821-7.
38. Jones CW, Hunold KM, Isaacs CG, Platts-Mills TF. Randomized trials in emergency medicine journals, 2008-2011. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2013; 31:231-5.
39. Platts-Mills TF, Hunold K, Bortsov AV, Soward A, Peak DA, Jones JS, Swor RA, Lee DC, Domeier RM, Hendry PL, Rathlev NK, McLean SA. More educated emergency department patients are less likely to receive pain medication. Pain. 2012; 153:967-73.
40. Lee YM, Platts-Mills TF, MacWilliams JB, Sochor MR, Jones JS, Schneider LW, McLean SA. Descriptions of motor vehicle collisions by participants in emergency department-based studies: are they accurate? Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2012; 13:329-4.
41. Gawor G, Biese K, Platts-Mills TF. Delay in spinal cord injury diagnosis due to sedation: a case report. Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2012; 43:413-8.
42. Zamora Z, McCall B, Patel L, Biese K, Lamantia M, Platts-Mills T, Naus N, Jerkewitz HP Cairns CB, Busby-Whitehead J, Kizer JS. Implementation of a Web-based system to improve the transitional care of older adults. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 2012; 27:182-9.
43. Platts-Mills TF, Esserman DA, Brown DL, Bortsov AV, Sloane PD, McLean SA. Older US emergency department patients are less likely to receive pain medication than younger patients: results from a national survey. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2012; 60:199-206.
44. Platts-Mills TF, Lee YM, Swor RA, Zaleski EZ, Clauw DJ, McLean SA. Pain and interference of pain with function and mood in elderly adults involved in a motor vehicle collision: a pilot study. Experimental Aging Research. 2012; 38:330-43.
45. Platts-Mills TF, Ballina L, Bortsov AV, Soward A, Swor RA, Jones JS, Lee DC, Peak DA, Domeier RM, Rathlev NK, Hendry PL, McLean SA. Using emergency department-based inception cohorts to determine genetic characteristics associated with long term patient outcomes: methodology of the CRASH study. BMC Emergency Medicine. 2011; 11:14-19.
46. Platts-Mills TF, Biese K, LaMantia MA, Zamora Z, Patel LN, McCall B, Egbulefu F, Busby-Whitehead J, Cairns CB, Kizer JS. Nursing home revenue source and information availability during the emergency department evaluation of nursing home residents. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 2011; 13:332-6.
47. Platts-Mills TF, Leacock B, Cabanas J, McLean SA. Emergency medical services use in the elderly: analysis of a statewide database. Prehospital Emergency Care. 2010; 14:329-33.
48. LaMantia MA, Platts-Mills TF, Biese K, Khandelwal C, Forbach C, Cairns C, Busby-Whitehead J, Kizer JS. Predicting admission to the hospital and returns to the emergency department for elderly patients. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2010; 17:252-9.
49. Platts-Mills TF, Travers D, Biese K, McCall B, Kizer S, LaMantia M, Busby-Whitehead J, Cairns CB. Accuracy of the Emergency Severity Index triage instrument for identifying elderly emergency department patients receiving an immediate life-saving intervention. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2010; 17:238-243.