I attended 3 days of clinical rotations. It was my favorite part of MSTAR. Without a doubt, attending clinical rotations put my research experience into perspective and demonstrated why continued research is necessary.
In order to provide the most comprehensive and dynamic MSTAR clinical experiences possible, we offer exposure to various locations and settings. While most students find these clinical experiences as integral to their MSTAR experience, completing a clinical experience is not mandatory.
Your experience may include time at one of these sites:
- UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus – Located about 12 miles north of Chapel Hill; offers a dedicated inpatient service for hospitalized older adults
- UNC Geriatrics clinic – The largest older adult-focused primary care practice in the NC Triangle
- Main UNC Medical Campus – The flagship UNC hospital staffed with UNC Faculty Physicians; houses Memorial Hospital, Cancer Hospital, Children’s Hospital, Neurosciences Hospital, Women’s Hospital, and Emergency Department
- Aging Brain Clinic – An interdisciplinary clinic staffed by a neurologist, geriatrician, geropsychiatrist, and neuropsychologist; focuses on optimizing cognition to prevent additional decline in older adults with existing cognitive impairment; located in Chapel Hill’s Meadowmont community
- UNC SECU Hospice – Pittsboro hospice facility with General Inpatient Hospice Care, Respite Care, and Residential Care
- PACE (Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly) – Piedmont Health SeniorCare program promotes and sustains senior independence; locations in Pittsboro and Burlington
- CCRCs (Continuing Care Retirement Communities) – The Chapel Hill area is home to several CCRCs; UNC Geriatrics serves:
- Carol Woods – Located in Chapel Hill, it is an accredited not-for-profit CCRC founded in 1979 by local residents
- Galloway Ridge – A non-profit Life Plan Community located eight miles south of Chapel Hill in Fearrington Village
- The Cedars of Chapel Hill – Adjacent to Chapel Hill’s Meadowmont community; ranks among the nation’s premier Life Plan Communities
- Carolina Meadows – a non-profit, fully accredited CCRC located south of Chapel Hill; adjacent to the Governor’s Village and Governor’s Club communities
I was surprised by the complexity of the patients’ medical problems, but invigorated by the diagnostic challenges and cerebral nature of the practice.
The majority of MSTAR Student Alumni not only strongly recommend participating in these experiences. But many also report that participating at multiple sites was invaluable to their MSTAR experience.
We highly recommend that you and your research mentor discuss which experiences may best compliment your research project. Your mentor may also recommend a particular professional with whom to do your clinical experience. Without a doubt, these experiences provide a feel for the research at work. Also, it offers insight into the collaborative effort of today’s physicians in effectively treating the geriatric population.
Overall, our MSTAR Clinical Experience Coordinator sets up many Geriatric experiences. At the same time, options should be discussed in advance of your arrival. However, please speak with your mentor and outline your research project before making arrangements.