The UNC School of Medicine Academy of Educators inducted Hannah Siburt, Jennifer Womack, and Jason Hrdina into its ranks in May 2020. Siburt is an audiologist with the UNC Hearing and Communication Center and an assistant clinical professor in the Division of Speech and Hearing Sciences. Womack is a clinical professor in the Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy and is associate director of the UNC Partnerships in Aging Program. Hrdina is a clinical assistant professor in the Physician Assistant Studies program. Siburt, Womack, and Hrdina all represent graduate-level programs in the UNC School of Medicine Department of Allied Health Sciences.
Stephen Hooper, the department’s chair and an associate dean of medicine in the UNC School of Medicine, said this year’s inductees represent the breadth of education, research, and person-centered clinical care in the DAHS.
“This year’s inductees join a legacy of DAHS faculty who have been inducted into the Academy in previous years,” Hooper said. “Siburt, Womack, and Hrdina are exemplary in their commitment to serve our state. I am proud to have them as part of this year’s cohort of inductees.”
Founded in 2006, the Academy of Educators emphasizes teaching and supports faculty development in Chapel Hill and across the state. More than 250 active faculty members and 60 resident members represent a diverse population of educators across various specialties.
The Academy’s mission includes the following:
- To promote and support excellence in teaching and the work and career paths of excellent teachers;
- To promote and fund curricular innovation, evidence-based curricular change and a scholarly approach to the education mission; and
- To provide a forum for education leadership and advice for the dean, vice dean for medical education, and leadership of the curriculum.
Siburt, Womack, and Hrdina join the following DAHS faculty in the academy:
Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
- Nancy Bagatell, PhD, OTR/L, FAOTA (2019)
- Linn Wakeford, PhD, OTR/L (2019)
Division of Speech and Hearing Sciences
- Cara McComish, PhD, CCC-SLP (2017)
- Elizabeth Crais, PhD, CCC-SLP (2018)
Division of Physical Therapy
- Lisa Johnston, PT, DPT (2018)
Stephen Hooper, PhD, has served as DAHS chair since 2013. Hannah Siburt, AuD, PhD, joined the division in 2017. Jennifer Womack, PhD, also holds two master’s degrees in occupational therapy and in folklore. Jason Hrdina began his career in medicine with the U.S. Air Force as a combat medic and is also the PA program’s director of clinical education.